Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,544 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to the area, we'll probably land in Clarks Summit (we did a 1 day "looksie" visit). The city we're in now does various summer camps for kids (we have a 5 and 6 year old) and was wondering if anywhere near Clarks Summit/Scranton offered this as well? I know signups usually happen around now, so I wanted to make sure I was on the ball with that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 05:35 PM

129 posts, read 425,001 times
JCC of Scranton PA (http://scrantonjcc.com/daycamp.html - broken link)

There is a bus which drops off and picks up from Clarks Summit each day. It is a nice camp.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:54 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
The Waverly Community House aka " The Comm" has camps running the whole summer...check out their web site. Waverly is up the road from Clarks Summit, not far at all.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:52 AM

41 posts, read 124,291 times
The South Abington Park has age based day camps for a few hours a few days a week. We typically get the info each year from the school district, but the South Abington borough building may have info as well.

They run a week long day camp at the Middle School called Camp Invention. Home

There is a free paper magazine that they have available in the children's section of the Abington Library...(I'm sorry, I forget the name), but they often list various day camps and summer activities in there. Also, the library itself runs programs. Abington Community Library

The Dietrich Theater in Tunkhannock is about a 20 min drive from Clarks Summit, and they run many children's programs as well. Dietrich Theater - Official Site - Classes

Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 PM

I forgot, they also offer a learn to swim program at the Abington Heights high school if you are interested.

Abington Heights Community Swim

Old 04-27-2012, 08:47 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
If you move to the back mountain area instead of Clark's Summit, there is Camp Orchard Hill (Day Camp). Also Wyoming Seminary used to run summer day camps. I don't know if they still do.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:08 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleximom View Post
My family is relocating to the area, we'll probably land in Clarks Summit (we did a 1 day "looksie" visit). The city we're in now does various summer camps for kids (we have a 5 and 6 year old) and was wondering if anywhere near Clarks Summit/Scranton offered this as well? I know signups usually happen around now, so I wanted to make sure I was on the ball with that.

Thanks!
We moved here from the NYC suburbs, and have found that camp, weather day or sleep away, is not as big a phenomena in North East PA, as it is in suburban NY, NJ, CT or the suburbs of Philadelphia.

The only game in town appears to be day camps operated by charitable organizations, or religious groups. Some school districts offer day camps.

My kids are well past day camp days and went to sleep away camp for five years each at Independent Lake Camp, in Orson PA. The youngest campers they accept are seven.

They are looking into counselor jobs locally at JCC of Wilkes-Barre and Camp Orchard Hill in Dallas. The latter is affiliated with a chuch group, but it does not seem "too heavy" but that might depend upon your own background. It is ACA accredited and appears to have good facilities. They have an Open House this Sunday from 1-4.

There are several private camps in Honedale, owned by the same family. One is Camp Cayuga. Camp Indian Head also offers a day program. www.indianhead.com. ACA accredited.

Hope this is of help to you. If you have other questions, send me a direct message, I'd be happy to help.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:53 PM

I found the magazine I was talking about. It's called Northeast Pennsylvania Family. The March/April 2012 was the issue with the annual listing of summer camps & activities. Their website is NEPA Family -- Northeast Pennsylvania's original family resource guide

Perhaps you can find the information there as well.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 PM

Unfortunately I just heard from a friend that the day camp at the park has been cut this year due to funding issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania