Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:59 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times

Advertisements

I often see panhandlers staked out at various main intersections in NoVA, particularly the Pentagon City ramp off of Northbound Route 1. It slows traffic as people stop to hand off a couple of bucks, causing cars further back to miss a light. Should the cops be enforcing anti-panhandling laws along the roadways? What's your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 01:16 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,093,527 times
Slowing down or coming near to a complete halt is dangerous during busy traffic; interrupts the flow of traffic and could cause a rear-end collision. Could something be done, let's say, to allow the panhandlers to receive only when there is a red stoplight? Same way charities and fireman do when raising monies at intersections?

Old 06-11-2010, 05:12 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,825 times
I've got an idea: DON'T SLOW DOWN AND GIVE THEM MONEY! They probbaly just use it to buy crack anyway.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:20 PM

229 posts, read 879,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I've got an idea: DON'T SLOW DOWN AND GIVE THEM MONEY! They probbaly just use it to buy crack anyway.
Like what happened in Front Royal a couple of years ago..

A man in a Ford Truck sees a panhandler on Royal Ave. holding a sign saying "..lost my job..please give..bless you..".

The man in the truck rolls down the window "..hey please let me help..instead of giving you money how about you coming to my office tomorrow..I can give you a job....."

The Panhandler screams at the guy in the truck "GO TO HELL...GO TO HELL.!!!.."..and all sorts of un-family friendly language.

The panhandler so mad at the guy in the truck he throws his bag..out pops a crack pipe !!!

I don't believe the pandhandler was ever caught by the police but he didn't get his pipe back either as the guy in the truck had ran over it.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:34 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I often see panhandlers staked out at various main intersections in NoVA, particularly the Pentagon City ramp off of Northbound Route 1. It slows traffic as people stop to hand off a couple of bucks, causing cars further back to miss a light. Should the cops be enforcing anti-panhandling laws along the roadways? What's your opinion?
The cops should not be putting up with this kind of nonsense. It's dangerous for everyone.

The worst I saw was here in Kentucky last week. The Radcliff, KY Fire Dept was asking for donations and they didn't even use an intersection they were right in the middle of the street. This was also on 31W which is a VERY busy highway here in the Ft. Knox area.

As I say with everything, time place and matter. Interfering with traffic is not a right way to panhandle and the police should not put up with it.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:11 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I agree. Don't give them money. I don't. It will only encourage them. Who knows what they do with it. Plus, how do I know they really need it? I wonder how much they go home with.

If it is a dangerous situation, the police should move them out of the way.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:07 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,685,240 times
Just call the police non-emergency line. I've done that three times in the past month and each time when I came back the panhandler was gone.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:45 AM

Any pro-panhandlers care to speak up? One observation is they all look like they could do a day's work - middle aged white guys capable of remaining upright. They don't inspire my charitable inclinations like the poor gypsy women with babies I saw sitting on the sidewalks of Rome or the children begging on the streets of Tijuana.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:50 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,297 times
Haha...it's an art for some of these folks. I love the ones that throw a limp in there...anything to draw sympathy.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Haha...it's an art for some of these folks. I love the ones that throw a limp in there...anything to draw sympathy.
Oh yeah, the guy a few days ago had an eyepatch that looked like something kids wear at haloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia