Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:10 PM

107 posts, read 250,688 times

Advertisements

I've got quite a collection of CDs that sit in boxes because I've downloaded them all to my computer. Because of lack of space I'll need to dispose of them. I am quite attached to my collection so it needs to go to a good home - one that appreciates my taste such as a college radio station. I'm looking for ideas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 02:38 PM

870 posts, read 2,108,549 times
If you have some ecletic/less well known artists in your collection, I would go with ebay. It doesn't take long to list each item or to get appropriate shipping materials. At a couple of bucks a pop, you can recoup a nice bit of money going through your collection. Of course, I'm assuming that you have at least a couple of hundred albums/singles that you're trying to sell. If it's less than 100, eh, probably not worth your time. If you want to unload the whole group as a set, I'm guessing you would need to use the local craigslist. List a few of the more notable/valuable titles at a minimum, and have a full listing available for interested parties.

Last edited by Mike From NIU; 06-11-2010 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 06-11-2010, 03:00 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I'd donate them to your local library.

I'm not sure if all the library systems do this, but the Loudoun County system has amassed an awesome collection of cd's this way. It's a treasured resource. In fact, if you go to the Cascades or Ashburn libraries you'll see them displayed right at the front, and you'll always see people browsing through them. They have several thousand in the collection but I'm sure they'd love to have more as long as they're in good shape.

Plus, I think you might be able claim the value of your collection as a tax write off. (But I'm not sure. An accountant would know.)

Old 06-11-2010, 05:11 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
good luck with that. I still have my collection of hundreds of cassette tapes stored away somewhere

Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Try Amazon. Unlike E-bay there's no fee to list, just when you sell one.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 PM

107 posts, read 250,688 times
I've tried to sell most of them through Amazon. No one is really buying CDs these days, especially the ones I like. I like the library idea...

I just threw my tapes away one day, although I was just starting to get into music as cassette tapes were being replaced by CDs; I had quite a few. I forgot about most of them except Pearl Jam's Ten - I bought them before they were popular...(LOL - like that even matters now...)

Old 06-12-2010, 02:23 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
I've got quite a collection of CDs that sit in boxes because I've downloaded them all to my computer. Because of lack of space I'll need to dispose of them. I am quite attached to my collection so it needs to go to a good home - one that appreciates my taste such as a college radio station. I'm looking for ideas. Thanks!
Here's where I go:

Record & Tape Exchange
9448 Main St.
Fairfax Va.

(703) 425-4256

I've been buying and selling (mostly selling) my old CDs and Vinyl there since the 80's.

The owners and employees are all music geeks like myself, so your collection will be enjoyed by several people down the line.

If you have the patience and the time, then try e-bay.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:19 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
"Plus, I think you might be able claim the value of your collection as a tax write off."

That's true. If you itemize deductions, donations to a library are tax-deductible. But the amount of the deduction is limited to the fair market value of the materials, not what you initially paid for them. The library will not estimate that number for you, but ebay will. Just make sure to get a receipt when you make the donation.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Another advantage to donating CDs to the library is you can still access them if you ever want to. For example, if something happens to your computer, all you have to do is go to the library and you can check them out.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:41 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
Check with the local military installation or perhaps the USO. I know there was some organization in the Richmond area that was collecting them to send to the troop, but can't seem to find the link. Perhaps Belvoir can help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia