Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:27 AM

238 posts, read 696,306 times

Advertisements

I found the best way of meeting people in this area is online... There are a ton of people like yourself that put up ads asking for partners to play sport xyz, friendships, etc. You must be careful of meeting up with folks online but some of these people are now good friends of mine and they aren't flakey.

Things to do DC can also be fun but I've heard negative things about their singles events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:45 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,017 times
Thanks all for the advice. I'll definitely have to consider using craigslist and meetup. I'm not really into sports, but hey I be willing to give anything a try.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:39 AM

450 posts, read 5,022,833 times
This is a great thread--I am going to try to put some of the ideas here to work for myself. I've lived in NoVA for 4 years; moved here with my hubby from out of state. We moved here not knowing a single person. Four years later, we unfortunately still don't have anyone we can call a good friend, but I have a few acquaintances I get together with sporadically.

We, too, have found it hard to meet people here. We're a married couple (no kids yet) in our early 30's. We joined some social groups when we first moved here but found that we were the only married couple in them (all singles) so we stopped going because we felt out of place and felt like no one was there to make platonic friends. Our work colleagues are nowhere near our age so being at different life stages makes forging a friendship different. We find that nearly everyone we meet is either single or married with kids. Very few people in our situation (married without kids). Makes it hard to find people who are in a similar life stage or who aren't too "crazy busy" with dating or kids to hang out.

Hubby is in a sports league but none of his fellow members seem interested in hanging out. Our co-workers are happy to have lunch at work but don't seem interested in getting together outside work. I have tried posting ads on Craig's List for platonic friends and answering platonic friend ads, but people on there tend to be flaky and never actually want to meet up or have such stringent requirements for friends. I recently read about a website where you can "rent" a friend, and it seems like a good idea. It would just be nice not to do things alone all the time (hubby works a lot).

Also, it seems that everyone we meet around our age (and especially married couples) already has their circle of friends and isn't interested in having more or grew up in the area and has strong social ties already. Very few people are like us--recent transplants to the area who know no one/very few people here.

I think my hubby is mainly interested in making couple friends, of which we have none. I'd just like to make one female friend, someone who I could go to lunch or a movie with once in awhile. As it is, there really isn't anyone I can call when I want to do something and my hubby is not available, so I go out alone a lot. I think a couples cooking club or something similar may be our best bet.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Try Parks & Rec department dance classes for meeting other couples with whom to do activities.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 AM

47 posts, read 81,784 times
Yep i recommend meetup. Although some people at the meetups are still rude and just talk to their friends they already know, i mean if you dont want to meet new people than dont come.

But i have met a few great friends from that site as well. That volunteer thing sounds great i may try that.

Also i recommend Rotaract, its a great thing to meet people and enhance your resume as well.

If your looking for a new friend though pm me.

I am 25 male and live in falls church

Old 07-08-2010, 08:29 PM

4 posts, read 13,139 times
You're lookin at it. PS: don't get uptight about meeting people online when they diss you. People ARE flaky. And two faced. just sayin..Good luck. :-)

Old 07-08-2010, 09:05 PM

244 posts, read 625,881 times
People in the DC metro are the nastiest, most stuck up people you will ever meet. Its hard to make any friends with such passive aggressive nasties. I would suggest moving out of here if at all possible or welcome to club nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia