Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:07 PM

4 posts, read 5,984 times

Advertisements

a thread discussing "social class"... what high standards we have here in nova
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,093,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadame9423 View Post
a thread discussing "social class"... what high standards we have here in nova
And what's wrong with this topic? The OP has a point in relating this question to forms of bias against an individual.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:28 PM

487 posts, read 1,358,417 times
Im still trying to figure out why this is a northern virginia forum question? Currently the only thing unique about NOVA is the lower unemployment rate than the national average. Otherwise people are people. Things work the same here as they do everywhere else. The only variable is you.
do you mix well with different types of people? Do you relate to people well? Are you a good listener? Are you honest? Do you have good character? what you bring to the table is vastly more important than your zip code.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:26 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,374 times
Here is a kicker; I don't associate myself in a social class! What a silly thread this is.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Im still trying to figure out why this is a northern virginia forum question?
The OP questioned the issue of social class in NOVA and asked us about our experiences on this topic. Somehow the thread drifted off to social class in a particular neighborhood and neighbor-behavior where he lives in NOVA. That's why it's on the NOVA Forum.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I don't think men will really ever be remotely as concerned with socioeconomic status as women are. But the problem is, is that women are more and more educated, and are basically makingi more money than men are, so therefore there are not enough men for women to marry up to.
Excellent observation. And so men must compete for women, who are the choosier sex. Which is why men (generally speaking) are more ambitious and competitive than women. Which drives feminists crazy. But no legislation or seminar put on by human resources can change human nature.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 PM

487 posts, read 1,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
The OP questioned the issue of social class in NOVA and asked us about our experiences on this topic. Somehow the thread drifted off to social class in a particular neighborhood and neighbor-behavior where he lives in NOVA. That's why it's on the NOVA Forum.
Here is my point.
The OP could have substituted any area in the country.

Had somewhat of a different kind of a Nashville "social class" question,
Had somewhat of a different kind of a Dallas "social class" question,
Had somewhat of a different kind of a Detroit "social class" question,
Had somewhat of a different kind of a LA "social class" question,

Its all equally relevant and equally ridiculous at the same time.

I seam to be hearing the OP say that people in NOVA don’t want to associate with a person not in their own direct social class standing.

In this regard you will find exactly no more or no less social class stratification in NOVA than anywhere else in the country.

Therefore the question cannot be NOVA specific, but must be addressed to society as a whole.

When society as a whole is considered the question still does not hold water because It still boils down to the individual and what they bring to the table.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Here is my point. The OP could have substituted any area in the country. . . Its all equally relevant and equally ridiculous at the same time.
Ridiculous to you but a reality for some.

Quote:
I seam to be hearing the OP say that people in NOVA don’t want to associate with a person not in their own direct social class standing.
I think we've probably all encountered some who do and some who don't.

Quote:
Therefore the question cannot be NOVA specific, but must be addressed to society as a whole.
Sure, if you want to speak about generalizations. The OP's question is specific and addressed locally, even to a specific neighborhood and specific people.

Your theories sound bright but fail to mention one important criteria: human behavior. How people behave, react, think about someone is not easily measured by a homogeneous assumption that you've brought up. That's quantitative thinking versus qualitative. In this case the OP has canvassed us about similar experiences regarding his neighborhood, town, and NoVA as a whole, including specific people who have reacted towards him.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:55 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Oldtimer View Post
Knight, this question has been well-studied in academia.

The simplest answer would probably be that wherever you go, women are always willing to date men of a higher socioeconomic class than themselves (also known as "marrying up.")

Conventional wisdom holds that men do not pay nearly as much attention to a woman's economic situation, but IMO that is changing. Whether you are on to something when you ask if it is more acute around here than other places in the country, I havent seen any data, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is some truth to this, especially among professionals.
Absolutely it is changing. Whereas it was very common for women to "marry up" in the past, now increasingly men and women marry those of similar socio-economic and educational backgrounds, especially among the group Charles Murray, David Brooks ("Bobos") and others call "New Elites" (that is, elites based on meritocracy and educational-professional achievement rather than birth and social standing). This has resulted in increasing self-segregation, not by race or even income, but by that ephemeral quality of success.

Northern Virginia is a prime candidate and example of this alleged trend, as this is a region with a high number of transient population (read fewer "old money" folks), a high degree of diversity and high regard for educational and professional achievement.

In this way, NoVA -- a geographical part of the old South -- is now at the new frontier of this social trend while the old "new frontier" areas like Southern California seem more ossified.

This has had some unforeseen side effects too. In the past, the largely WASPy elites may have been exclusionary and "undeserving" (privileged by birth), but they were also more community-oriented and had that noblesse oblige ruling ethos of stewardship and sacrifice (in war, for example). Precisely because today's new elites earned their status, they are said to be infused with a sense of entitlement devoid of communitarian ethos, as in "Hey, I studied and worked hard and earned this - I don't owe anything to anybody." Paradoxically, this means that the have-nots of today are MORE, not less, resentful of the haves who earned by merit.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:04 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,384 times
By the way, among the locals with whom I socialize, who are conservative-traditional religious types, there is discrimination, but it is usually not based on origin, race or even economic status. It is based on manners and education. People who seem polite, graceful and interested in intellectual pursuits are welcome regardless of income while those who are boorish no matter how wealthy or powerful are spurned. Basically, I think my friends and acquaintances want in their social circle those who set good examples for their children.

I don't think this is universal and seems more common in NoVA than other metropolitan areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia