Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 11,000 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am considering opening a coffee shop in Front Royal or the surrounding area. I currently reside in San Diego and was in Front Royal during a road trip. I realized that I really want to live a simpler life and am not fond of big cities. My resarch shows that there is only one coffee shop (Daily Grind) in Front Royal. Can anyone give me an idea of the feasibility of opening another shop there or another market that might be successful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:33 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
You will probably wind up losing business to Starbucks...NoVa seems to be the Starbucks capital! lol But don't let this stop you from pursuing your goal. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:56 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
I have a priest friend who was assigned to a parish in Front Royal a few years ago and was stunned to find no Starbucks nearby. There is a very small Catholic college (Christendom) in Front Royal, so you might consider opening a coffee shop near the campus. There are also lots of large, conservative, homeschooling families in the area, who might rather patronize a local, independent shop rather than Starbucks. (Then again, they are also frugal and probably make their own coffee and drink it at home....)

Old 06-22-2007, 04:32 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Starbucks is coming, sorry to say..... New development just outside the town limits with Walmart, Target and a bunch of restaurants and I know I heard mention of a Starbucks....

Doesn't mean it wouldn't work. Also understand that Daily Grind is also a chain coffee store like a Starbucks or a Barnies etc....

Good Luck!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,959 times
That's correct: Starbucks is coming to Front Royal, and it will be inside the Target Store currently being built and scheduled to open at the end of July 2007. There are two Daily Grinds in town, one on Main Street and one on the south end of town in the Royal Plaza Shopping Center in front of KMart. An older phone book also lists "Cafe Royale" on S. Royal Ave. I must say I'm not familiar with that one.

With the popularity of coffee shops, I certainly think the town could handle another one. We have 5 (or is that 6??) golf courses in the county and there is a lot of new housing/commercial businesses being built. I definitely believe it's feasible.

Good luck,

Debbie

Old 06-28-2007, 06:32 AM

566 posts, read 2,984,335 times
Have you checked out Luray (pronounced looray)? It's not too far south of Front Royal. I was just there a few weeks back and don't remember seeing a coffee shop. With all of the tourists and campers that go there year round, that could be a great location.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:41 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Luray is drop dead gorgeous for sure and within a 25 minute drive of Front Royal.... My wife and I are looking there to potentially buy. However, the schools supposedly could be a lot better if that matters to you...

Old 07-15-2007, 01:16 PM

59 posts, read 397,338 times
Good luck in opening your own coffee shop! I lived in Front Royal for 14 years and during that time several nice, trendy restaurants opened and shortly closed. The town consists mainly of locals and imports like me who migrated there from the Northern Virginia area.

Unfortunately, the people living near any of the golf courses there do not really patronize eating establishments in town. The really nice restaurants which opened there were ignored by the locals. It's really sad that these places were not appreciated.

You are likely to find some of the same in Luray which is much smaller. There have been some nice coffee and sandwich shops near the center of Front Royal which are frequented by the professionals in town.

I think that if you do your research carefully, though, you may find a place well suited to your needs. Virginia is really lovely - hope you like it!

Old 07-29-2007, 02:06 PM

277 posts, read 373,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisme View Post
Hi folks,

I am considering opening a coffee shop in Front Royal or the surrounding area. I currently reside in San Diego and was in Front Royal during a road trip. I realized that I really want to live a simpler life and am not fond of big cities. My resarch shows that there is only one coffee shop (Daily Grind) in Front Royal. Can anyone give me an idea of the feasibility of opening another shop there or another market that might be successful?
Hey there, Front Royal may be out for you, but you may want to go a little north and west of Front Royal to Winchester, Virginia. This town is a cool town to be in too. If you have your coffee shop near Shenandoah University, you may be able to pick up the college crowd too. Fortunately, Starbucks have not gotten into the greater Martinsburg, WV/Winchester, VA area. I am sure a coffee shop would do excellent there.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,689 times
Default Whats Up?

Another coffe shop. I can't belieive the other one is still in business. How about a nice deli or a bakery with different types of bread.Just the smell alone from the bread baking would drag people in .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia