Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,456,963 times

Advertisements

Here's a summary of the bill:
"Move over" law. Requires drivers to move left on a four lane highway when approaching vehicles displaying flashing blue, red, or amber lights. The offense is punished as a traffic infraction, formerly a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second or subsequent violation, when such violation involved a vehicle with flashing, blinking, or alternating blue or red lights, is punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor. These provisions shall not apply in highway work zones.
To see the full text: Bill Tracking - 2010 session > Legislation

From the full text:
The driver of any motor vehicle, upon approaching a stationary vehicle that is displaying a flashing, blinking, or alternating blue, red, or amber light or lights as provided in §§ 46.2-1022, 46.2-1023, or 46.2-1024, or subdivision A 1 or A 2 of § 46.2-1025 shall (i) on a highway having at least four lanes, at least two of which are intended for traffic proceeding as the approaching vehicle, proceed with caution and, if reasonable, with due regard for safety and traffic conditions, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the stationary vehicle or (ii) if changing lanes would be unreasonable or unsafe, proceed with due caution and maintain a safe speed for highway conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:19 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,264,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I was told by a very experienced California Highway Patrol officer once that cops who leave their lights flashing during a traffic stop are idiots just asking for a drunk to smash into them.
And that so called "very" experienced CHP is an idiot. If he really said that.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:31 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,291,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
And that so called "very" experienced CHP is an idiot. If he really said that.
Yes he did and no he wasn't. Here's an interesting discussion of studies on the topic:

http://www.policedriving.com/article145.htm (broken link)

Last edited by CAVA1990; 07-08-2010 at 07:39 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 08:52 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,264,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yes he did and no he wasn't. Here's an interesting discussion of studies on the topic:

Police Vehicles and Lights (http://www.policedriving.com/article145.htm - broken link)

I'm well aware of the studies. As a 30 plus and now retired officer we were kept abreast of these studies and discussed what we should always do in light of the info. Trust me when I say officers would rather leave their emergency lights on while on the side of the road and take their chances with the occasional drunk driver. We always had hundreds if not a thousand cars passing us depending on where we were stopped and going by the law of averages only a few were drunks. The vast majority of people were those driving sober and hopefully were cognizant of their surroundings. In my time as a LEO I could count on one hand the times officers I worked with were rear ended by drunk drivers while they were stopped on the side of the road with their lights on. I can count the thousands of times I saw officers stopped roadside with their lights on with NO problems. Myself included.
I believe I know a little more on the subject. Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 07-08-2010 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia