Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:12 PM

248 posts, read 700,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
There is absolutely no reason for you to move unless you want to.
From what I know of Arlington off what I heard and seen, it wasn't enough to make me want to live there. Basically one of the purposes of this post was to find out if I am missing something about Arlington which might make me want to live there.

However, I do like the urban style of Arlington and DC for nightlife, bars, kickball, or whatever. But it doesn't feel worth it for me to live right there knowing that I can access those places easily by public transportation, even if it sometimes takes a bit long.

Even taking a taxi back home once in a while after a rough night beats the potential rent I'd have to deal with...

Part of it could be I came from an area which had NO public transportation and where driving/designated driver was a requirement... Then when I moved here I grew appreciative of the fact there is actually public transportation I could use...

Last edited by tsuric; 07-07-2010 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 05:12 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,276,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
I moved to Fairfax 10 months ago for work.

I am well aware that there are people my age (25) all over Arlington. However I cannot bring myself to wanting to move there. Here are the reasons:

- I am basically a hardcore video gamer who optimally likes to get out a few times a week. So I don't need to get out EVERYDAY, just maybe one out of every two days....

- I can access Arlington easily by bus->metro if I want to go to kickball, skeeball, or whatever activity in Arlington/DC to meet people and get out. If I'm going directly from work, its even easier as I am right across a metro station. I don't mind fairly long commutes by public transportation since I like to read or play with my nintendo DS....

- I am financially conservative. I dislike extreme financial commitments and I would prefer to spend less than I earn... Obviously Fairfax is cheaper than Arlington...

- I know some people are proud of being in Dupont circle, Clarendon, whatever. I personally think it is stupid to move for that purpose...

So now that I have given my reasons where moving there doesn't make sense for me, can you try to convince me otherwise? Or at least back me up as I try to figure out what's best for me?

Thanks, much appreciated
Since you seem to be relatively happy where you are living now, with what you consider important close to you, then I see no reason to move. I learned along time ago to do what makes you happy and works for you and not worry about what others are doing or what they think about you, trust me it makes for a less stressful life.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:47 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Can you recommend any rental apartments in manassas, and are you sure that it's only 15-20 minutes to Vienna Metro?

I've been considering it, but I've driven there before, at least to Bull Run Mountain, and it's REALLY far from where i am in arlington, and I work in DC.
I'm in Manassas Park, right off of Rt. 28, so I'm closer to Fairfax County than other parts of Manassas. Usually it will take me only 15-20 mins, but of course that's when there is no traffic on 66.

As far as apartments, I'm not too familiar with in this area, since I bought when I moved here, but City Center looks pretty decent. It's near 28 and within walking distance of VRE station. They just need to get some retail there.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:02 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,454,783 times
I live in Arlington and there is a lot more to like than just the bars and restaurants and easier commute to DC. But you give up a lot too. Only you can decide what is the best tradeoff for you.

My advice would be to consider where you want to be long term. Once you make friends in a neighborhood (not just your work mates), get to know your neighbors who watch out for you or your place, get established with doctors, find places to shop and work out, etc., it becomes harder to leave. So, if you do decide you want to live in Arlington and pay more for your apartment, then you want to move up and buy a SFH, for example, you may find it hard to trade off the expense and small size and limited range of house styles and lots, etc., near your apartment, whereas if you stay where you are, you may have many more options at a lower price.

I agree with others that you should do what is best for you and not worry about what anyone else thinks.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I live in Arlington and there is a lot more to like than just the bars and restaurants and easier commute to DC.
Can you go into more detail? Let's pretend you are a salesman and you are trying to sell me a place in Arlington....

Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,454,783 times
OK, tsuric, I'll try. These are simply my observations and opinions relative to my own preferences. They are not intended to diss anyone or any place else but just to "sell." Your mileage, and others', may vary.

Advantages:

1) It's a well-managed county where reps. generally do what residents want.
2) Police service is pretty good, compared to the District, for example. Property crime (car theft) can be bad at times, but generally there aren't many stranger assaults, for example. Have never had a break-in in 10 years; at my prior house in the midwest I had 3, in less time than that.
3) My neighbors are great. They are pleasant and helpful. Block parties are organized in the summer.
4) Recreational facilities (such as tennis courts) are pretty well-maintained and can be reserved for a small fee.
5) I'll let others talk about the schools, but generally, since only about 20% of Arl. households have school-age kids, but all pay property taxes (as do the businesses), the schools are very well-funded. Neighborhood associations meet to push for school improvements and other changes. You can get involved if you want to, or not.
6) As someone whose politics are moderate to liberal, and who lived most of my life in very conservative (politically) communities, I did not realize until moving here how nice it could be to live around a lot of people with similar values, instead of feeling like the "exception". Obviously, if your politics are on the opposite side, a community more like the ones I moved from (in the midwest) might have the same effect for you, and Arlington could be a downer. And, I should note that at least two of my favorite neighbors are conservative politically. So there is some diversity.
7) it is great to be around people who are smart and well-educated as well as nice, who have really interesting backgrounds and may like to do a lot of the same things you like. It is nice to be in an area where EVERY activity is not focused around children (as it was in my prior communities) but which is welcoming to families, singles, DINKs, SAHM/Ds, etc.
8) there are lots of doctors and other services within easy commuting distance. Cable etc. companies find you easy to get to, so you don't have to wait an inordinate amount of time to get things fixed just because they may not work in your neighborhood as often -- but of course we all know some of these services can be a pain for other reasons.
9) every kind of store you want is nearby - from Target and Costco at Potomac Yard to Macy's etc. at Pentagon City or Tyson's depending on what part of Arl. you live in.
10) Columbia Pike may be getting a lot nicer now and in the future.
11) Houses have held their values better than many in more outlying areas.
12) Metro access in many neighborhoods.

Disadvantages:

1) Housing cost (rental and owned). It's very expensive now and probably won't decline much more.
2) Houses and yards are very small relative to what you can get in many other very nice communities.
3) New housing tends to be very large and VERY expensive, with tiny yards. A lot of it is really the same in style - I won't say cookie cutter, but not far off.
4) You won't be in your 20s and young 30s forever. Do you want to pay such a high premium to be near the restaurants and bars? If you buy near them you may decide later you'd rather have a quieter place. And there may be better, more hip options in the District.
5) There may not be as much economic and international diversity in Arl. as opposed to the District or Fairfax.

I may be able to add more later.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:47 AM

219 posts, read 472,186 times
yamota's video link was very funny. Thanks yamota, I laughed.

tsuric, within the next couple of years your peers will be stampeding to the outer burbs for affordability. I can't really add anything to the advice of just doing what you want and tuning them out.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
yo yo, bigups to mah Arlington peeps, yo!
Now it's on!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
OK, tsuric, I'll try.....
Thanks, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. Please feel free to post additions when you think of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia