Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 AM

76 posts, read 188,952 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a position with a Defense Contractor in Falls Church, VA and will be relocating from North Carolina. My parents (empty-nester's) live in Haymarket (which I will reside with in the time being) and they enjoy it thoroughly however I'm not looking forward to the long commute there and back.

I would like to live somewhere where there are other young professionals (I am 26 years old), be relatively safe & eliminate the long commute if possible.

I don't have any children currently or anything else of that nature and no plans to for a few more years. I do enjoy road biking, running & swimming so a cycling friendly community & something close to a YMCA or a gym with comparable amenities would be ideal.

Income will provide for about $5000/month gross and I have little debt besides car payment/insurance.

I know that this is a redundant question amongst this forum but I truly appreciate any advice as to where you think I would best fit in, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 AM

7 posts, read 13,250 times
Arlington, Arlington, Arlington. Sounds like you'll have the income to afford it. Look into places like Clarendon and Ballston. Both very accessible to Falls Church by metro and car. Youngest professional area around here by far. You'll have easy access to a gym if you don't have one in an apartment or condo that you rent.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,248,062 times
Sounds like North Arlington is where you should look. Plenty of young professionals, lots of sporting opportunities. For biking, there is easy access to the W&OD trail (a rails-to-trails path), the C&O canal towpath (an unpaved but flat and easy path that goes all the way to Cumberland MD and connects to a path to Pittsburgh, if you really wanted to go for a ride!), and the GW Parkway paved path along the Potomac River.

The commute to Falls Church is an easy one. Plus you'd be able to get on I-66 to go visit your parents.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 AM

628 posts, read 1,937,401 times
Many choices in the Falls Church immediate area, where your commute will be the shortest. The W&OD trail runs through the middle of the city; plenty of restaurants; gyms are everywhere in NoVA. Almost anywhere inside the Beltway accommodates singles well with the many apartment buildings and condos for rent. IMHO, once you meet some singles and your circle of friends expands through those contacts, it really doesn't matter where you live.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:04 PM

147 posts, read 411,178 times
My grammar nerve is twitching.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:28 PM

76 posts, read 188,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
My grammar nerve is twitching.
My apologies eyeball, I deleted the message for you.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,299,281 times
I can only reiterate what others have recommended, it sounds like the Courthouse, Clarendon or Ballston area would work really well for you. We lived in the Courthouse area for 6 months and there were so many young professionals there and the ability to walk everywhere was great.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:59 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,477,559 times
I agree that Arlington would be best, and Route 50 is probably going to be easier for you to get to work than taking 66W as it can have delays leaving the Ballston area in the morning. On Route 50, it's an easy reverse commute, and the only real delay will be the traffic signals -- just don't forget something when you're ten minutes from home, as it can take a long time to run back home during rush hour.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-19-2010, 02:09 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,299,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I agree that Arlington would be best, and Route 50 is probably going to be easier for you to get to work than taking 66W as it can have delays leaving the Ballston area in the morning. On Route 50, it's an easy reverse commute, and the only real delay will be the traffic signals -- just don't forget something when you're ten minutes from home, as it can take a long time to run back home during rush hour.
I agree about Route 50 being the best to use for the commute. I try to stay as far away from 66 as possible.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:19 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,248,062 times
Route 50 is good, but I always used Washington Blvd to go from Ballston to Falls Church when I worked there. I guess it depends on where the employer is located.

Even years ago, 66 would get backed up at the Ballston ramp to 66 West during morning rush, with bumper to bumper from Glebe to E. Falls Church. And the same held true in the reverse direction in the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia