Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times

Advertisements

The saga of our new-home purchase continues:

The termite inspection was just done on our 1940s Arlington home we're about to buy. Our agent tells me:

"They found evidence of carpenter bee holes on underside of front porch and termite tunnels on joists on unfinished part of the basement. This is not unusual."

Should we be freaking out? The basement is mostly finished, so I'm worried about what's there that can't be seen.

The seller has to have it treated before settlement--but what if the structural damage has weakened the joists so much that they're no longer strong enough to keep holding the house up for another 40 years?

Thanks as always for any advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 12:11 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Depending on the extend of the carpenter bees, you may be able to just treat the wood, seal up and it's OK.

But are the termite tunnels compromising the structure? You should get a structual engineer in there and make the determination and get it in writing. If the damage is extensive you may consider walking away from this deal. If not, ask the Seller to make the repair or ask for a credit against the price of the house and you can handle the repair. At this point, since you're under contract, any repairs that are structural can only be made by a licensed structural engineer. Don't let the Seller have someone who is a general contractor do the work who might just put a few lollis in there and call it a day.

My house was built in the 1930s; these old houses have issues that the newer ones won't. Nothing to worry too much about -- they're just different types of problems than the newer ones.

Don't inherit someone else's problem! Good luck to you!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 PM

Thanks so much! Really appreciate it.

Where does one hire a structural engineer for a job like this?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Thanks so much! Really appreciate it.
Where does one hire a structural engineer for a job like this?
Well . . . you could ask people on the forum here

Or ask your Realtor for some references. They should know the leading structural engineers in the area.

Or, someone in construction, development, or architecture.

Or, if you're on good terms with your future neighbors (since they own historic houses), one of them might know.

We know of a group out here in Winchester (referred by our realtor but also other local homeowners). But this would be too far for you. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:20 PM

Thanks! I'll ask the agent. He's probably afraid we'll bail on the whole deal, so he should be helpful. Here goes nothing.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Thanks! I'll ask the agent. He's probably afraid we'll bail on the whole deal, so he should be helpful. Here goes nothing.
Your agent's job is to help YOU out. And s/he should know that not too many people would be interested in a house with extensive damage. What exactly did your home inspector say about the termite tunnels? Do they bore all they way through the wood or just those "paths" termites make under the surface? If they are the "paths" then that is indeed fairly common, so long as it's not rotting the wood.

Honestly, if you don't feel comfortable with what they're telling you and you're really interested in this house, get the structural engineer. You'll have peace of mind for a few hundred dollars. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:38 PM

Well, the home inspector didn't cover termites; I don't think it was part of his duties. (He was exceptionally thorough). The termite inspection was just done today, and I haven't seen a copy of the report yet. (The agent just e-mailed me.)

We're definitely going to get an engineer. I just hope they have some way of "seeing" behind all that drywall in the finished basement (and behind the plaster walls elsewhere)!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 PM

I'm not sure what structural engineers really do; maybe someone on the Forum can share their experience. Be sure to accompany him/her though; it would be a great learning experience.

Plaster walls? Hey, I've got them too. Really strong, solid walls although I need to get a home energy auditor in to see if/how well these walls are insulated. Back them, insulation was not a requirement on these houses. So if they do happen to open a few walls, take a peek and see how well they're insulated. Don't be surprised to find newspapers or old clothes in there though; that's what some people used back then!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:12 PM

Yeah, I love plaster walls. They have a certain feel when you slap them--no "thud," just a cool "thap" that says "Try again, tough guy."

I talked to a structural engineer; tough thing is, even they can't see behind the drywall without cutting/drilling holes. Not sure how big those holes would have to be.

I'll follow up for posterity when I've heard something. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia