Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:30 AM

106 posts, read 239,810 times

Advertisements

Earlier this year I asked about a Mole deterrent and I found some pellets online that mimics the predator of the mole but the mole never left. I still get tracks in my yard. The small heat wave we had burned up by grass in my backyard and even after getting sun back there by cutting a couple of trees, did not make it go away. I am going to be putting sod down next month to revitalize my backyard. I am afraid that the mole will destroy my new grass. How can I ever get rid of it. Is this a job for animal control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 11:24 AM

106 posts, read 106,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnaH View Post
Earlier this year I asked about a Mole deterrent and I found some pellets online that mimics the predator of the mole but the mole never left. I still get tracks in my yard. The small heat wave we had burned up by grass in my backyard and even after getting sun back there by cutting a couple of trees, did not make it go away. I am going to be putting sod down next month to revitalize my backyard. I am afraid that the mole will destroy my new grass. How can I ever get rid of it. Is this a job for animal control?
If you can stomach what you catch, you can buy a mole trap at Home Depot, bait it, and wait for the results.

Then, get a tub of water and drown it by dunking the cage into the tub.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:24 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Moles eat grubs in the yard (larvae of Japanese beetles and other beetles). When the yard is prepped but before putting the sod on, treat the lawn with an anti-grub preparation (Scott's makes one, don't know about other brands). If there is no food source, the moles won't come bother with your yard.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:57 PM

@reeze: Your idea is very inviting until the drowning part I have little kids I would rather catch it and drive to come woods and release it.

@weezycom: The product on Scott's site read as if I have to fertilize the lawn during the spring time and lasts for a year. I really need to get rid of this issue for good.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:35 PM

This product looks like it might work: Traplineproducts. They have an identifier on the site but only lists two of three. I am leaning towards Voles and not Moles but how can I be sure?

Old 08-29-2010, 07:34 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
Make friends with the moles. I once saved a young-ish mole who had somehow wandered out of her/his underground territory and into a semi-busy road.. talk about sooooooft. Like, chinchilla soft.. both have an extremely high density of hair follicles, apparently. (S)he wiggled a bit, but wasn't as aggressive as (s)he could have been. As soon as I set her/him down on the grass by the side of the road, (s)he was plowing into the earth like a fish diving. It was really cool to see. Keep in mind, though, that I have pet rats, so my tastes might not be exactly like yours.

I just looked into live trapping of moles (at the Havahart [manufacturer of humane/live traps] web site), and it's apparently rather difficult, usually. Just think about this before you consider killing a little moley:

"Starry nose feels and goes./ Hidden ears hear wood frog toes"; and

"Pulling feet, sculling tail,/ Furry boat without a sail".

(From 'Dig Hole, Soft Mole,' an adorable children's book about a star-nosed mole.)

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 08-29-2010 at 07:53 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 07:50 PM

170 posts, read 583,360 times
Get a cat.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:44 PM

I did not say I would kill. Initially, I did mention I tried a deterrent which mimicked the predator of the voles/moles. What one calls warm and furry rodents might be the pests of a farmer taking away his/her livelihood. Of course that is not what is happening in my case. And you are free to come over and try your humane traps. I would pay you if you guaranteed positive results.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:30 PM

66 posts, read 281,159 times
Sunnah, we had a mole once and DID drive it out into the country(look up humane traps online)..it can be done..I know it's not what you want to hear, but the mole was there first, killing it will only make your heart heavy. I also see that isn't the route you want to go anyway. Moles can definitely be pests, but that's the problem these days, we are seeing an influx of many animals, especially deer, here in Northern Virginia, and many other states. It's sad because we are encroaching on the animals' habitat, and then they end up getting killed(like the bear problem in the West right now). I would definitely go for the humane trap, and you can always call your local aspca and find out what services can be offered to help you out free of charge, for example: If you have a feral cat colony there are programs that will trap/neuter/return cats free of charge. here is a link to a useful website with humane ideas: best of luck! How to get rid of moles in your yard

Old 08-30-2010, 07:44 AM

Thank you very much for the reference. It is most likely Voles (not absolutely sure) but I like the suggestions on the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia