Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:38 AM

24 posts, read 86,864 times

Advertisements

So, I currently live in Reston. We have a great SFH but it has no backyard and now with 2 small children we desperately need one. Problem is, we haven't found anything in our budget ($775,000) that suits our taste or is worth that money in Reston. We are thinking about Vienna or Lowes Island. What is the general consensus of both places in terms of community, schools, outdoor life (we are a very active family), houses (and do you get what you pay for). Any insight would be so appreciated. We have been in Reston for 3 years but really don't know much outside of our "bubble". Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 09:02 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
In general you are going to get less house in Vienna and more house in Lowes Island as compared to Reston. As far as the yard you desire - more yard in Vienna and less in Lowes Island as compared to Reston. At least that was my experience when I looked at all three places several years ago for a house that would now be selling in the same ball park as your budget.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Both are nice areas, for sure. I'd say Lowes Island is quieter and has more of a country-club like setting. Houses in your price range will generally tend to be newer and larger than similarly priced properties in Vienna, but the lots often are small (1/4 acre or less).

Vienna has more of a mix of housing styles; in your price range, most of the houses you'd be looking at probably would have been built from the 1960s to 1980s (and would be in the parts of Fairfax County with Vienna addresses, rather than in the Town of Vienna itself, though there are certainly some properties in that price range in the Town). The lots would typically range from about 1/4 acre to slightly over 1/2 acre, so they'll be more houses with sizeable backyards. Vienna has a nice variety of family-friendly shops and restaurants, though traffic congestion on Maple Avenue/Route 123 can be pretty bad.

Both areas offer plenty of opportunities for outdoor life. Lowes Island is close to parks and the Potomac River; the W&OD bike trail runs right through Vienna. Schools in both areas are just fine. I don't know about the youth sports leagues in the Lowes Island part of Loudoun, but the youth sports leagues in Vienna are great, with very high participation among local youths.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
I have lived in Cascades since 1992 and moved to Lowes Island in 2004 when we downsized to a 55+ community. I can truthfully say I would only move out of the area kicking and screaming. The HOA keeps the common areas beautifully maintained and is very responsive to residents. There are 5 pools, 25 tot lots, and 13 tennis courts plus walk/jog paths throughout. Lots in Lowes Island tend to be smaller than the rest of Cascades but you will find some just under 1/4 acre. Lowes Island Elementary School is top rated, I don't think you will find a better elementary school in the area. For more info go to Cascades Community Association - Welcome to Cascades Community Association's New Website. I'm sure Normie and Caladium will chime in with more info for you.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM

I really appreciate your responses. I am leaning towards Lowes Island, however, I could be mistaken in terms of my "areas" of Cascades, Lowes Island and Potomac Falls and I am sure this topic has been thoroughly covered on these boards ( I will do a search). Which area of Lowes Island, Cascades etc., would be within my $775,000 budget? and which are the most desirable areas?

We are still considering Reston and hope that more houses come on the market by Spring, which is the time we will be listing ours but I hope to have our search nailed down way before then, so I can follow the market more closely. Thanks all!

Old 09-11-2010, 11:44 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
I know what you mean about overpriced houses in Reston. I keep a pretty close eye on the 20191 zip code. Right now there is one house that should be in your price range but is WAY over priced. I wonder how long it will take them to realize? Maybe by the time you are ready to put your house on the market in the spring.

1964 BARTON HILL RD, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase

This house just came on the market and I may go to the open house tomorrow (I just like cruising houses). I can't believe the ugly pink master bath for a house priced at $700K. At $700K in 20191 the kitchen and baths should all be looking FINE!

2019 SOAPSTONE DR, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase

I went to this open house a few weeks ago. Nice kitchens and baths. A nice, but small yard. The photos make it look bigger than I remember it.

11926 RIDERS LN, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-FOX+MILL+WOODS-RESTON-VA-MRIS-FX7423111 - broken link)

Here is another house I would suggest checking out. Looks like it is at the end of a street backing to woods.

10800 DAYFLOWER CT, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase

Old 09-11-2010, 11:53 AM

Hi JfromReston,

I too, enjoy "cruising houses" :-) I have a realtor right now sending me listings and I peruse the MLS on a daily basis! Currently, we live in the 20194 zip and would really love to stay here but again, over priced homes are turning me away. I have just recently started looking at the 20191 zip and I am familiar with the listings in your post. The Barton Hill house was closest to what I was looking for but a bit too traditional and it seemed to be pieced together, I don't know, there was just something not right about that house, regardless if it was 1 million or $500,000. And, I do agree that often the pictures in the listings often are distorted in terms of size relations, I think they use wide lenses!

Yes, the Dayflower house looks promising but may be just a little too traditional again. Although, colonials are a dime a dozen here! Thanks again for posting and let me know if you get wind of any other listings!

Old 09-11-2010, 12:46 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Lowes Island is great for people who love trees, and a community with an almost parklike setting. It's hard to beat being near the river and between two large parks (Algonikian and Seneca). However, it may be "too pretty" for some people (country club look) and has the look of a community built all within a short time span.

Both Vienna and Lowes Island have good schools, as far as schools are concerned you'll be fine choosing either of those.

Vienna is closer to Tysons and DC.

Personally, I like Lowes Island but Vienna is very charming. You really can't go wrong with either one, IMO.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:08 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I agree that you can't go wrong. It depends on your priorities. If you value a newer, bigger home then Lowe's Island is for you. It is a very beautiful area. And very clean looking. All the shopping around there is new and big. If you'd prefer to be closer in and a more town area, then you'd like Vienna. But like JEB said, you'd probablly be looking at an older home. Also, the shopping centers are older and not as clean, "perfect" looking. But if you are commuting to DC or closer-in then you'll like your commute better. If commute is not part of the picture or you work out towards Dulles then Lowe's Island wins.

Good luck with your search. House hunting can be stressful, but a lot of fun, too!

Old 09-11-2010, 07:55 PM

Thanks!! Lowes Island seems to be great however, I am still a bit confused on the way it is divided up? Lowes Island, Cascades, Potomac Falls. And, which is most desirable? If I am correct, Lowes Island is basically closest to Trump Nat'l G.C.? It seems to have a lot of the qualities and ammenities that I love about Reston, and, it seems that you can get a decent house (and possibly a good yard) for your buck?!

This search is stressful because there are not a lot of homes on the market for either Reston or Lowes Island but hopefully early spring will bring lots of new listings!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia