Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:28 AM

93 posts, read 334,815 times

Advertisements

I agree with the ignorance around here when it comes down to treating a broken traffic light as a 4 way stop sign!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:29 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

For people who do try to take advantage of a lane that ends and get ahead of everyone else, only to dart in at the last foot, I used to get irritated and not want them to be rewarded for that behavior. But I've changed to not caring. In the big scheme of things, it really doesn't make a difference.
I don't think that is taking advantage, especially when traffic is slow. I've always thought the proper method when a lane ends is to "zipper" towards the end of the merge.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:28 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don't think that is taking advantage, especially when traffic is slow. I've always thought the proper method when a lane ends is to "zipper" towards the end of the merge.
You're correct. However, around these parts people make up their own rules..

Old 09-17-2010, 06:35 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Studies have shown that this zipper method does allow for traffic to move quicker. Or the last study I saw a few years ago released this info.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:55 PM

274 posts, read 708,537 times
Oh, that's totally where my mind went, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Many don't even stop for red lights and you think they'll stop for a signal that's out? LOL

Old 09-17-2010, 07:06 PM

274 posts, read 708,537 times
Agreed. I wish that the majority of the drivers around here didn't interpret "yield" as "wait for your darn turn, which is never" and actually treat a merge as a zipper. I ease off if someone's merging fast, and speed up if they're merging slow because I don't want to compete. Driver's Ed probably doesn't even come close to teaching young folks how to maneuver in the area.

Quote:

Old 09-17-2010, 11:23 PM

894 posts, read 2,314,193 times
Dumb driving is becoming a systemic problem nation wide in my opinion. I've lamented the idiot drivers in Charlottesville for years and on Tuesday evening I was going to Ikea at Potomac Mills and tried to merge off of 95 onto the exit that takes you there. Stupid me. There was a guy who was getting onto 95 and was well behind me as I tried to get over. To my surprise he had sped up to prevent me from getting in front of him. If I slowed and let him in front of me I would practically have had to stop. Not doing that on the highway. Or I was faced with missing the exit all together. So I had to force the issue and assume my rightful place in the flow of traffic and cut the JO off. He didn't even blow the horn as if he knew he was being a jerk. I just don't get it how people have no concept of merging or using common sense as with driving through intersections where the lights are out.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:49 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
Dumb driving is becoming a systemic problem nation wide in my opinion. I've lamented the idiot drivers in Charlottesville for years and on Tuesday evening I was going to Ikea at Potomac Mills and tried to merge off of 95 onto the exit that takes you there. Stupid me. There was a guy who was getting onto 95 and was well behind me as I tried to get over. To my surprise he had sped up to prevent me from getting in front of him. If I slowed and let him in front of me I would practically have had to stop. Not doing that on the highway. Or I was faced with missing the exit all together. So I had to force the issue and assume my rightful place in the flow of traffic and cut the JO off. He didn't even blow the horn as if he knew he was being a jerk. I just don't get it how people have no concept of merging or using common sense as with driving through intersections where the lights are out.

This is the selfish "me first" attitude that is becoming so prevelant in the country these days. Everyone thinks they need to get their first, wherever there may be.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:27 PM

154 posts, read 373,988 times
In my experience, many times the signal to other drivers that I am about to change lanes merely acts a cue to the other drivers in that lane to close up rapidly and tightly behind the cars in front of them to make sure I don't get to move over.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
You're wandering from the topic. If you want to talk about merging, start a merging thread. This one's about stopping at intersections when the signals are out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia