Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:40 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
With that being said I just found my DREAM PLACE in Westover. It's probably about $50/month-$100/month more than I was ideally looking to pay for a small 1-BR basement apartment, but it does include all utilities. It's a shame I'm not looking to move until Spring 2011. I just hope there's a place similar to this one around by then. P.S. The homeowner did a bang-up job "selling" me on Westover and the link within the CraigsList ad has tons of very well-done photos. I'm surprised it's had over 2,000 hits and still hasn't been rented. Cute, Private Apt. in Residence. Steps to Westover & Lost Dog Deli! (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/apa/1958554124.html - broken link)
Darn - that sounds perfect for you! You can't sucker someone into subletting your Reston apartment, can you?

One idea for you - a lot of good rentals come about through word of mouth, and never make it to Craigslist or other listings. If you can get to know some folks over in that area, you can put the word out that you're looking for a place in the spring. Maybe there's a church over there that might interest you? I actually used to go to St. Ann's near Westover even though we lived in St. James Parish (Falls Church) because we liked the vibe better and it was a smaller community. (Sorry, I don't know about other denominations in that area, just Catholic). Oh, and I'd be willing to bet that the Westover Library probably has a great bulletin board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 03:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
A work colleague of mine lives in Falls Church City on E Maple St (near the new Pizzeria Orso) and he is now carless-by-choice and takes the bus to Metro. Might be something to investigate as I would think the rents would be cheaper due to not being that close to Metro.
Thanks so much for the suggestion. Falls Church City has always come up on my radar as well. I have no aversion to taking the bus and have taken it before, but with what most people consider walking distance (i.e. 1/2-mile or less) I greatly expand that radius. I walked today (no lie) from the Washington Plaza Hotel in NW DC to the West Falls Church Metro station, where I had parked, to save me from having to reload my SmarTrip card for the commute back. I was feeling a bit "happy" last night while clubbing with out-of-state friends, and now I have to really buckle down financially until October 1. It was about a 10.5-mile excursion, but I did it in stride. This is why I'm going to consider neighborhoods within a 2-mile radius of the EFC Metrorail station. I'm figuring if rental options right atop the station are as expensive as what I just found out, they should be much more affordable if I go further out to places like Williamsburg, Yorktown, or parts of Falls Church City south of Broad Street (Route 7).

Old 09-19-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Darn - that sounds perfect for you! You can't sucker someone into subletting your Reston apartment, can you?

One idea for you - a lot of good rentals come about through word of mouth, and never make it to Craigslist or other listings. If you can get to know some folks over in that area, you can put the word out that you're looking for a place in the spring. Maybe there's a church over there that might interest you? I actually used to go to St. Ann's near Westover even though we lived in St. James Parish (Falls Church) because we liked the vibe better and it was a smaller community. (Sorry, I don't know about other denominations in that area, just Catholic). Oh, and I'd be willing to bet that the Westover Library probably has a great bulletin board.
In a sense I'm torn. I feel "smart" for searching so extensively so soon (with 7 months left on my current lease) because I might be able to beat the competition amongst renters to snag my prime place; however, I'm also finding dream listings like that and realizing "There might not be one like that when I'm ready to move." On the other hand, there could be two listings even better than that. I'm about to post an ad under "Housing Wanted" on CraigsList to see if there are any prospective landlords who already know their current tenant(s) will be vacating in Spring 2011. I figure it would be a win-win for them to have a replacement tenant lined up before the other one moves out while I also won't have to stress closer to move-out date at my own place.

Thanks for the tips about non-CraigsList-oriented leads. I never even considered the Westover Library having a bulletin board. I'm a lifelong Lutheran, but to be quite honest I'm at a conflicted point in my faith where I'm hedging on converting to another Christian denomination anyways (possibly Episcopal). It wouldn't hurt to start attending church there in a couple of months, mingle, and spread the word around I'm looking for a place.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:15 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Is it possible to sublet the place you have right now?

Old 09-19-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Is it possible to sublet the place you have right now?
That's an option I'm exploring, Normie. Unfortunately my current complex is in a unique situation. Our management company specializes in subsidized housing; the complex I currently live in here in Reston is the only non-subsidized "market rate" property it owns and manages. Earlier this year a colleague of mine fell onto rough times. Her live-in boyfriend walked out on her, leaving her unable to afford to renew her own 2-BR lease. I asked my current complex if I could upgrade my current 1-BR lease to a 2-BR unit, paying a transfer fee or whatever else would be needed. There was zero flexibility. Anyone who lives here has to be specifically listed on the lease. I couldn't just move out, have someone else move in, have them give me the rent every month, and then have me cut out the check to the complex so they'd never know the wiser (plus I wouldn't want to have to risk paying for two leases if my sub-lease tenant happened to be a deadbeat). I'd have to officially have them take over the lease, but I might still be charged the 2-month early-lease-breaking whammy myself of $2,210. Ouch!

It's complicated, just like my love life as of late.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:25 PM

We'll see if I get any nibbles.

Young Professional Seeks Private Basement Studio/1-BR in SFH for 2011 (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/hou/1962698322.html - broken link)

Old 09-19-2010, 04:30 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I might still be charged the 2-month early-lease-breaking whammy myself of $2,210. Ouch!
Check and see if the fee would really be that high. And even if it is, it might be a good tradeoff if you're using less gas to get to work, etc. Sometimes it's worth it to pay the fee if it means moving to a place you really want to be in.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Check and see if the fee would really be that high. And even if it is, it might be a good tradeoff if you're using less gas to get to work, etc. Sometimes it's worth it to pay the fee if it means moving to a place you really want to be in.
True. We'll see. That one CraigsList ad that I linked to in this thread was exactly what I would be looking for in a place, roughly within my budget, and was in the perfect location. I also need to ask myself, though, if it's worth potentially having to pay that $2,210 (yes, the contract stipulated the penalty for early lease termination is two months' rent) to snag this place if there might be comparable places coming up down the pipeline if I just stay patient and move in the Spring. The ad I posted myself on CraigsList will help to give me an idea of what may be available later.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:38 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
How many folks have a full basement apartment that includes a kitchen, etc.? Or is that more common in Arlington?

FWIW -- and I was a slumlord in South Arlington -- my wife and I rented out a 1400 square foot duplex with 0.07 acres of yard for $1,595 a month. I suspect now that the connector trail is built out, it can go for $1,695 or $1,795 a month.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:00 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I knew someone who bought in EFC pre-boom, and at the time they were under contract in the $800s. Off Roosevelt, towards Wilson, on the south side of the station, there are some older apartment buildings that should not be as expensive as the newer construction atop the Metro. I think that the newer townhouses start in the $800s, though there are some in the area that are a bit more expensive.

I thought the price was premium level for that location, too, and it would have to have a heavy amenity package to be worthwhile from a value standpoint, since the "green" features may not save a dime as compared to a traditional apartment when you pay the increased rent.

The other factor in that area, though perhaps not at issue with your situation, RR, is that on the Falls Church side, in the city, the school district is George Mason, and on the Arlington side, it's Yorktown, both of which are sought-after schools. Add to that easy proximity to Bishop O'Connell, and the area does tend to have a ready pool of buyers.

There is a small market at Westover that has a name for its beer and wine department. Grocery store, fresh produce, tobacco products. Arlington, VA

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia