Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 AM

154 posts, read 504,141 times

Advertisements

Hey, you guys. I know I spoke to some of you when my husband and I were planning our move to VA last year. A lot of you were a BIG help by the way. We have settled in nicely into our jobs, our home and the awesome schools for our sons, ages 4 and 6.

Now I have run into this newest dilemma. Where do I go to sign my sons up for sports if I live in Falls Church (Fairfax Co.)? The place can be near Falls Church too (e.g. Annandale) but because of the distance of my job, I would prefer the league, rec center, etc. to be as close to our home in Falls Church as possible. I am coming in from Herndon, VA and need to be able to get my sons to practice after I pick them up from daycare.

I have heard of Annandale Boys and Girls Club and I have done some research and seen something in McLean and Vienna. I am not sure if ANYONE can play at all of these places or do the children have to go a certain school, I am just not sure and am unbelieveably confused. I wanted my sons to belong to the YMCA but the closest one is in Arlington. We might be going there though because I like a lot of things that YMCA has to offer in addition to sports, such as, swimming lessons.

Please send me your ideas because my son is really looking forward to playing all sports. We missed soccer because we couldn't find anywhere to register him. Now basketball is coming up and I would like for him to play.

Which league, rec center, club, etc. is the best place for enrolling your children in youth sports in or near the Falls Church area?

I appreciate, in advance, any help I can receive. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 AM

216 posts, read 633,255 times
We live in Falls Church and frequently use the Spring Hill rec center in McLean. We've done swimming and soccer classes there. McLean also has a soccer league (called McLean Youth Soccer, I think?) that plays on the fields surrounding Spring Hill rec center and Spring Hill elementary across the street.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:24 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,924,156 times
Here's the website for McLean Youth sports. McLean Youth Athletics, Inc. Not sure whether there are any residency restrictions. My kids participated in soccer, basketball, and track through this League. You should be aware, however, that MYI practices are held all over the place (not just at Spring Hill) and you might find yourself dealing with serious traffic issues driving in from Herndon, picking your kids up from wherever they are, and taking them to inconvenient fields or gyms. You probably won't get accurate information on where practices will take place until AFTER you register and the teams are formed.

You might have better luck with a program based at Spring Hill (or another of the Fairfax County REC Centers that are closer to your house.) You should also ask the parents of your son's classmates -- ultimately, he's going to want to play on the teams with kids he knows.

As for swimming, the REC Centers are probably your best bet for year-round swimming. Their pools have more than a dozen lanes, so they can run lots of classes. Sign up online on the very FIRST day registration opens in order to get your first choice of class times. For summer, check into one of the many neighborhood swim clubs, which also offer swim teams in addition to lessons.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 AM

Wow, great information. Thanks, you guys. I never thought to ask my son's classmates. With my husband and my own crazy work schedules, it's hard for us to get up to our son's school often. I'll have to try to take a day off and pay his class more visits.

I have asked around and people who work with children often or who have children do not seem to be able to give me a definite answer. Made me nervous. I keep hearing about the Annandale Boys and Girls club but I keep thinking that there has to be something in my city.

Thanks again. I will look into you all's suggestions.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,562 times
The City of Falls Church's Rec and Parks Dept. has programs that are open to residents and non-residents (it's a little more expensive if you're a non-resident).

Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Thx, CDMurphy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia