Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times

Advertisements

I don't know about the commute to Chantilly, my husband commutes to Herndon and it takes him about 35-40 mins during rush hour from Round Hill (using the Dulles Greenway, which is a toll rd), which is about as far west as you can get in Loudoun. Chantilly is south of there so I'd maybe look at Aldie, south ends of Leesburg, southern side of Hamilton and Purcellville, anywhere you can get to 50 easily to take you east.

I've driven to Rockville during the week and it took me about 50 mins at 10:00 AM and again I'm far west. I think it's safe to say it would be under an hour, hopefully closer to 30-45 mins depending on where you live.

If you're not getting a significant raise to come here, I would seriously question whether it's worth it for you, especially if you don't always want to be in a double income position. That said, there is something to be said for having grandparents around when you have kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 01:44 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
My guess is that a family used to living in a SFH in the wide-open spaces of the Texas Hill Country would not be happy squeezed into a townhouse surrounded by lots of other townhouses in Loudoun or anywhere else in northern Virginia. Most people relocating to the DC area from other parts of the country are simply stunned at how little they get for, say, $500K. Even $800K doesn't buy you much in a close-in neighborhood.

To answer the OP's question on driving to Maryland, there are only a few bridges across the Potomac. Weekend traffic is not quite as bad as weekday commuting traffic, but it's almost as bad. It could take an hour to get from Loudoun to Germantown, depending upon how close you are to major highways at each end of your trip. Bethesda and Rockville are somewhat closer, but it's still a hike.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:45 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
That said, there is something to be said for having grandparents around when you have kids
We knew one family where the grandparents homeschooled the kids - that enabled them to homeschool AND remain a dual income family.

Would it be out of the question to ask the grandparents to sell their place in Md and move across the river? Just thinking out of the box

Old 09-23-2010, 01:48 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
'My guess is that a family used to living in a SFH in the wide-open spaces of the Texas Hill Country would not be happy squeezed into a townhouse surrounded by lots of other townhouses in Loudoun or anywhere else in northern Virginia. "

why not? Why say squeezed? Whats squeezed? You get to not mow a big lawn!

"Most people relocating to the DC area from other parts of the country are simply stunned at how little they get for, say, $500K. Even $800K doesn't buy you much in a close-in neighborhood. "

Here in Annandale 800k will get you a McMansion. Easily, I think.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:48 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Leesburg would work nicely for the OP, I think -- it has some "established charm", would not be a killer commute for the OP, and it is possible to live within a 1/2 mile of downtown for under 500k. It's also close to White's Ferry which is probably more convenient to the I-270 corridor in which the in-laws live than would be Centreville/Chantilly.

Another possibility would be Middleburg. No kidding.

The real estate listing at 100 Sycamore Street Middleburg VA - Homes for Sale - Realtor.com - MLS #LO7395583 - Realtor.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail-alt/100-Sycamore-Street_Middleburg_VA_20117_M63996-66435 - broken link)

within 1/2 mile of elementary school, grocery shopping (sure it's only Safeway), libraries, parks, etc. Plus your ZIP code is prestigious.

I won't lie, this place would be very tempting if I worked in western Fairfax (DW works in Chantilly). It would even be workable if she stayed at home.

I work in Crystal City, so it'd be a Hellish commute.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
OP, you can get a nice townhouse in the South Riding area (Loudoun) for under $300K, and I currently see SFHs in the $400Ks. South Riding is about 3 miles straight down Route 50 from its intersection with Route 28. (Technically, the mailing address for South Riding is Chantilly, but South Riding is an acceptable alternate address.) Depending on where in Chantilly, you could be there in 10-20 minutes. South Riding is a nice, family community with good amenities.

Since you and your husband will both be likely commuting to Chantilly, I'd go for the nice family area with a super-short commute and not worry about the in-laws. Make them come to you.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Since Chantilly is the work address then I would agree with the suggestions for Loudoun County in general for more bang for your buck. South Riding as mentioned sounds like it would be a particularly good value and - important in this trafficky area - a convienent commute.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:44 PM

77 posts, read 154,120 times
toDCkickingandscreaming, my name should be "awayfromDCkickingandscreaming" Ha! I don't want to leave. I'm having a hard time accepting that we might have to leave and find myself focusing on all the things I love about DC and not what might be positive about my "possible future home city." The end result is, I don't want to leave DC, basically. Unless we really have to because of my husband's job, I don't want to go. So, I would say unless you really have to leave Austin, which you love, I just wouldn't do it, especially coming from an area that's less expensive. At least if I have to leave, I'll be moving up financially.

I see where you're coming from about the single family home, though- if you're from an area where everyone has a "real house"- that's what you want, and that's what you're used to, and a townhouse will never fit the bill. I'm from the South, I've lived in an "over half a million dollar" townhouse for 7 years, and it just won't feel permanent. My family calls it 'our apartment.' Friends of mine back in teh South have mansions for 250k and don't understand why I live in a townhouse. People from areas where there is land just don't understand this. If you really want to be close to the in-laws, and you miss the 4 seasons (DC has the BEST weather, I think), then welcome to DC but be prepared to pay more money. My husband and I are basically single salary- we cannot afford a "decent" (relative term here) house in Alexandria. If we move out to Chantilly, maybe. You have that going in your favor, that you're already looking to be further out. If you can accept all this, then come on to NOVA! But just think about what you really want and whether or not you have to move. Good luck, I know it's a gut-wrenching process!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
To the OP...I agree that if you are already used to living in a large SFH that will sell for the price of a townhouse or smaller SFH in the outer DC suburbs then it will be a difficult adjustment. A lot of the living space questions will hinge on what type of salary increase you are looking at upon moving here and how much you are wiling to compromise on commute versus the square footage of your house. If the job is in the western suburbs like Dulles Corridor then you are at a stronger advantage because living costs are for the most part less the further you go outside of the Beltway.

As to whether you will like it here or not..only you can decide that once (and if) you settle down here. I moved to the DC area from a small "affordable" city in West Virginia and haven't looked back. That being said, the DC area isn't for everybody. Best of luck as you weigh your options (:

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 09-23-2010 at 08:14 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 01:49 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
I'm planning to move in the other direction - DC to Austin (probably next year sometime). My husband is from TX (San Antonio area) and my in-laws are still there. I'll never get them out of TX, and my parents are willing to come with us to be close to our daughter. So, we have family reasons as a big driver in our decision to move - otherwise, I really like this area, flaws and all.

Yes, housing costs are the biggest difference. We are looking to buy into Eanes below $400K - even there (the costliest burb of Austin), I could get a SFH for that, albeit a smaller, older home than Round Rock/Cedar Park or whatever. Can't buy into a desirable neighborhood in Fairfax for that price. I think where the cost comparison goes wrong here is that the property tax RATES in TX are MUCH higher than here in NoVA. Looking at our financials, our real estate taxes plus our state income taxes will be just about even to what we will pay in JUST property taxes in TX on a $400K house. So, I wouldn't worry so much about state income taxes that you don't have in TX. On the other hand, you're going to have to move pretty far out to get as much house as you probably have in TX (where do you currently live? Dripping Springs? I keep looking at that area as real estate is cheaper and views are lovely, but then realize I am leaving here because I want to be MUCH closer to the downtown area than DS would allow) The cost of housing in DC area is one of the primary reasons we are leaving.

I think the car tax "problem" is a bit overinflated. Yes, you have to pay it - you know that when you move here. It has been reduced over time, so it is less than it used to be. Our total for 2 cars (a 2002 Beetle and a 2005 Altima) comes to @$250. It is what it is. I'm sure there are little known things in TX that you pay and we don't.

I have heard that groceries in TX are slightly cheaper.

Gas is cheaper in TX, by maybe 25+cents per gallon or so? It depends when I visit, and I don't know if Austin gas is more expensive than San Antonio burbs gas, either. It costs more in Arlington than in Sterling, so it can vary widely in any region.

Daycare is MUCH more expensive here in DC area, although the outer burbs/exurbs is less expensive than DC proper.

Good luck to you - and maybe we can exchange notes over private message. I'm more than willing to help you out with your move here. I'm not jumping up and down for joy about the opposite move, but it will be better for our kid(s?) and we can definitely get more house for our money, so off we go. I am definitely worried about the schools in TX, to be honest - the crazies running your state board of education scare the living daylights out of me. I feel like we're going to have to be MUCH more vigilant about the quality of schools there than I would here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia