Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:30 PM

11 posts, read 27,127 times

Advertisements

We are moving to DC. My husband will move first and look for a job and I will stay at my job for another month while I look for work. We have looked all around DC and found that Arlington is more of what we are looking for. After doing research it seems that Clarendon is one of the best neighborhoods in Arlington.

We are late twenties, college graduates, no kids, one cat, one car, ex-military, love cafes and bars (not clubs), shopping, want to walk most places, and be next to the metro for quick access to the city. Does Clarendon fit this bill or should we look elsewhere? We are looking for a place around $1800. Is that doable?

Can you give me some insight as to what life will be like in this town as opposed to the city? Are there a lot of young college students, young professionals or families in the area? And lastly, any recommendations on apartments in the area? We will be visiting mid October but reading the apartment reviews make it difficult because they are all only 50% recommended. We just want a modern place that we can't hear our neighbors. Thanks for any advice you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
You're moving to DC without a job? I don't really recommend that, unless you have a lot of extra money. This area can be very expensive and sometimes it takes longer to find a job than you think.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
If you are looking for jobs, consider renting in the downtowns of Fredericksburg or Winchester while you interview, etc., and take on temp work in western Fairfax/eastern Loudoun. You'd have shopping and dining/cafe experience there but for a fraction of the price.

I would *NOT* move into the "guts" of Northern VA w/o having a job first.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM

11 posts, read 27,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You're moving to DC without a job? I don't really recommend that, unless you have a lot of extra money. This area can be very expensive and sometimes it takes longer to find a job than you think.
We will be fine financially.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
I agree that your will definitely want to secure a job first. Also note that unless said job is DC, Alexandria or Arlington itself, a commute to the usual suburban job centers may be lengthy and possibly not located near the Metrorail. But assuming that the stars align for you ...

Yes, Clarendon will fit the bill for you. The only caveat may be the rent range unless that is for a 1B apt; that might make things a bit "cozy" for a couple and their dog. However, there are apts that are a short walk or bus ride from the Metrorail that may be more affordable. Others here more knowledgeable can give you more specifics.

If the options in Clarendon (or Court House, Virginia Square or youngish Ballston for that matter) don't look like a good value for you, consider Falls Church. It's a bit more suburban with a decent downtown area (including the State Theater and an international-themed nightclub whose name escapes me) and is but a short drive or train ride to Clarendon.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:12 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
You will be tight on that $1800 budget if you want to be in the heart of Clarendon in a newer building. On top of rent, add on fees for parking that car ($30-100/month) and pet rent ($30-50/month per critter). I was looking in the area ~2 1/2 years ago, and we really struggled to find a 1 br place for under $1800 (that was our limit at the time too). The ones that were decently priced had wait lists of up to 6 months.

I'm not sure that I would commit to a lease there until you know where you'll both be working. It's pretty much a reverse commute from there to anywhere (except DC, but then you'd have metro), but if you both end up with great job offers in MD, which is just as possible as offers in DC or VA, you probably don't want to live in Arlington. A better idea might be to find a month-to-month place while you get settled, check out the area, and determine where you really want to be.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:29 PM

77 posts, read 154,120 times
Other than price (which is kind of biggie) and job location (the other biggie), Clarendon will fit your bill exactly. When my husband and I moved to DC, we were similar to you- 20s, no kids, 1 cat, wanted to be near metro and walking distance to restaurants. Clarendon is full of young professionals. However, finding an apt. for $1800 and under may not be realistic. When we looked 7 years ago, everything was around 2100 (for a 2br). Factor in that you have to pay for parking, and you'll be *well* over 1800. Also, depending on what your jobs are, you may not want to be there. Where you live in DC really, really depends on where your job is because of the horrible traffic. If you're in IT or almost any business, those are headquarted out by Dulles. Unless you're working in Alexandria, Arlington, or DC (which tend to be government, government contractors, or non-profits, although there are exceptions), Clarendon would not make sense at all, even though it's a cute area and you seem to like it. I really would say find the job first (the market in DC is TERRIBLE right now, and even though you said you'd be fine financially, this is what dictates where you live), then pick your area.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:38 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,063 times
Like others have said, figuring out where you work will make a difference. I work near Tysons and live in DC and have an easy 20 minute commute to the office. If however, I lived in Tysons and commuted to DC, it would probably be closer to an hour. Can you tell us what general type of work you and the hubby do? That will likely inform where you will end up.

I also have some friends in the Ballston area who are < $1800 a mo for a 1bd in nice looking apartments, you might want to consider that area as well.

One word to the wise: Clarendon and Ballston area are absolutely chock full of young 20-something newly minted $60K/yr "I think im rich" yuppies driving around in Jetta's with their pink juicy pants and mocha non-fat latte's yabbering on iphone 4s about how "Spencer's such a prick! I can't believe she's still with him!"...

Old 09-23-2010, 09:12 PM

9 posts, read 21,704 times
Might want to look into South Arlington. Columbia pike's got a lot of dining and plenty of interesting international bars. Another thought is Old Town Alexandria or Crystal City Arlington both a little more trendy than south arlington minus some of the yuppie syndrome of clarendon.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:39 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Best line I've read all day. Thanks fore the laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
One word to the wise: Clarendon and Ballston area are absolutely chock full of young 20-something newly minted $60K/yr "I think im rich" yuppies driving around in Jetta's with their pink juicy pants and mocha non-fat latte's yabbering on iphone 4s about how "Spencer's such a prick! I can't believe she's still with him!"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia