Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 02:50 PM

123 posts, read 409,663 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if they know of an accelerated Masters of Education track - especially one that may have night or weekend/online classes? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
UVa satellite in NOVA has MA's done at night and on weekends, and George Mason offers similar (but a little more expensive).

Old 09-25-2010, 11:38 AM

158 posts, read 378,912 times
I think GWU has one too if you are in Loudoun.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:10 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Define "accelerated".

I'm getting my M. Ed through Marymount right now. They offer 3 different programs. All are 39 credits. The first is a traditional, self paced program. You can take as many courses as you want at a time (all are 3 credits; your student teaching hours are worth 6 credits). If you think you can handle 12 credits per semester, you can be done pretty quickly. If you can only handle one class at a time, it could take quite a bit longer.

Their second program (the one I'm doing) is a weekend cohort in Reston. There are 25 students each year, a mix of secondary and elementary. You meet every other weekend from 6-10 on Fridays, and 9-4 on Saturdays. In the summer, it's every weekend. 6 credits per semester (except while you student teach, it's 9), so you complete the program in 2 years. The bonus is you can work the entire time (except while you student teach, of course).

The third program is through Arlington county schools. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I believe you take a semester or a year of classes, and then you go into the school district on a provisional license for the year while you finish up the rest of your credits.

There are also programs through Mason, GW, American, and Georgetown. All offer night classes. I chose Marymount because it was cheap. My entire masters is costing ~$16k. And since most school districts could not care less where your degree is from, I wasn't going to pay the $40k/year that GW wanted...

Let me know if you have any specific questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia