Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 27,134 times

Advertisements

We currently have 2 cars and live in Florida. We will be relocating to the DC area in the next few months. We are looking into the Arlington area. We wouldn't move with both cars, only one. I have heard many say you don't need a car in the DC metro area. I have never used public transportation and couldn't imagine not having a car, but I realize it is a completely different environment up there. Do you have a car? When do you use the car? I have heard that registering a car in Arlington can be a hassle. I am trying to figure out if a car payment, insurance, and parking are going to be worth it or if I should just sell both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 10:10 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Even if you live right on top of a Metro station and work at the other end, it's very difficult to be car-free in Arlington when you're used to being a two-car family. I would say to bring one car with you, though, admittedly, I am not a person who could easily be car-free. Some may do it, but there are huge hassles when you want to go to a particular store that's not immediately on the Metro (and I mean rail, not bus, as the bus could take two hours to make a 20 minute drive).

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-28-2010, 10:28 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,309,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Even if you live right on top of a Metro station and work at the other end, it's very difficult to be car-free in Arlington when you're used to being a two-car family. I would say to bring one car with you, though, admittedly, I am not a person who could easily be car-free. Some may do it, but there are huge hassles when you want to go to a particular store that's not immediately on the Metro (and I mean rail, not bus, as the bus could take two hours to make a 20 minute drive).
I agree. There are parts of Arlington that are nowhere near Metro, and nowhere within walking distance of stores. You also never know where your job may take you - my office went from Merrifield to Reston to Merrifield to Ashburn within four years with one company. Even most of my friends living in the District have a car; the one who doesn't uses Zipcar to run errands in the suburbs.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:29 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
FWIW, I did the same thing years ago. Having just one car in a household is tricky, but doable (even way out in Loudoun County, where I live). Of course, you'll want to find a place as close to a bus line/train station as possible, and have a grocery store and other shops within walking distance.

Having said that, it's doable but it's soooooo much better to have both cars, especially if you're accustomed to living in a 2-car family. I'll never forget the horrible day my cat got hurt and I had to carry her in a cardboard box to the vet, about a half mile away. If only I'd had the car that day. It's so much easier and better to have a car, if it's possible.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:29 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,205 times
I agree that if, as a couple, you both work near a Metro stop and live close by, then selling one car makes sense. You can also get a Zipcar subscription for those times when you may need two cars but don't want/need the hassle of keeping a second vehicle fulltime. If work/home for both of you is inconvenient to Metro, then you'll probably want to keep both cars.

However, if taking Metro is a reasonable choice, and if one of the cars you currently own is something you were considering selling/trading in the next 12-18 months, go ahead and get rid of that one and bank the money in case you reconsider and want to go back to being a 2-car family.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:30 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,155 times
The biggest hassle from living without a car beside commuting is grocery shopping. If you don't live within a couple of blocks of one, it's just a real pain without a car (you can forget Costco).

Otherwise, you have to eat out a lot or get used to going to the grocery store frequently with just a couple of small bags.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:33 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
You also never know where your job may take you - my office went from Merrifield to Reston to Merrifield to Ashburn within four years with one company.
A very good point. This seems to happen to a lot of people these days.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 PM

18 posts, read 56,066 times
It would depend where in Arlington you end up living and working, but I'd suggest keeping 1 car at a minimum. My wife and I had two cars before we moved up here. We had to sell one in order to pay for our wedding and haven't really missed the second car since. You would want one car for grocery shopping and any out-of-town trips you two would want to take.

I don't know you if you have kids, but keeping two cars might be worth it if you do.

Registering your car is a hassle. Apart from the DMV, you'll need to get an appropriate parking permit AND city sticker. When we moved we knew about the parking permit, but not about the city sticker. It didn't mention we needed a city sticker on the parking permit section of the city website. Had to get a $50 ticket to find that out. The wife was not pleased.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:28 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
The metro DC area is not like New York, where many people find that having a car is far more trouble than it's worth. Metro doesn't go everywhere, even in Arlington. Most of northern Virginia is built around cars rather than pedestrians.

Unless both your home and workplaces will always be within easy reach of a Metro station (and you don't mind waiting around for buses in bad weather if it's not walking distance), at least one of you will need a car for commuting. Ditto if you may have to work non-standard hours, travel to visit clients or other worksites, or need to schlepp lots of stuff to and from the office.

And unless you can arrange your evening and weekend activities so that only one of you needs the car at any given moment, you may need the second car then, although zipcar is an option if you live in the more urban parts of Arlington. If you have kids, forget about ditching the second car unless you really cannot afford it.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:41 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,472 times
Ya know, some of us don't even drive - so, yeah, it's entirely possible to live car-free in NoVA (especially as a single). Not particularly pleasant, the way it might be in, say, NYC, Chicago, or one of our nation's many wonderful mid-sized college towns, but possible. If you are going to take the plunge (and central Arlington would possibly be the best place in NoVA to do it), you must become one with your bicycle. Oh, and (grocery!!!, plus the normal kind) panniers are your bestest, bestest friends:

(commuter bike avec grocery panniers, from chicagobikeblog.com)

(And I just had to include these grocery panniers because the model is called "the Omaha." Big 'O' FTW. Ok, now I'm officially an intarnetz d00d(ette). )

Oh, and I'd also like to nominate "schlep(p)" as the official word of the City-Data Northern Virginia sub-forum.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 09-28-2010 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia