Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 03:48 PM

127 posts, read 355,605 times

Advertisements

As far as I have learned from our insurance it's against the law for a lender to force a borrower to over-insure in the State of Virginia.
According to this our insurance covers the worth of the house but not the whole amount of the loan, since this also includes the property the house sits on.
Did anybody else have issues with their mortgage underwriter concerning this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,609 times
We are going through a re-fi and the MLO asked us to up our coverage to cover the amount of the loan. Our insurance company told us that Virginia law will not allow this practice. Our insurance company told me that Virginia Law 6.2412 applies.

Because my lender is based in Kentucky, he was not aware of this law. So far we are in a holding pattern while he determines whether additional documentation is needed to exempt us from their coverage requirements.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:28 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
I know the OP is old, but we just went through this with our mortgage. We finally gave up and insured up to the value of the loan. We didn't have time to argue, and our mortgage broker (despite being local) was insistent that we had to insure the value of the loan or it wouldn't go through.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:25 AM

121 posts, read 469,527 times
I did the same as the poster above, the difference in premium was so little it made no sense to argue with the mortgage people. though you would think that there would be some bit of professionalism within that industry (i.e. that they would know what they were talking about). my insurance rep was willing to fax documents etc stating the law to the mortgage people but it wasn't worth the effort.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
If you have 100% replacement cost, they cannot require you to carry excess insurance. The key word in this is 100%. Many of the insurers will not use this language, which does permit lenders to require the full loan amount. The exception is, if the replacement cost is complete on the appraisal, it would be the loan amount, minus the value of the land.

Anyone fighting this should contact VA's State Corporation Commission at Virginia SCC - Bureau of Insurance or call 1800-552-7945 (Virginia only). I would normally tell someone to complain to the mortgage company's regulatory agency (OCC, OTS), but I suspect you would get faster action if the complaint came to the mortgage company via a State Agency (especially with Ken Cuccinelli at the helm).

Old 11-18-2011, 12:47 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
A while back, we got a letter from Wells Fargo (our lender) saying it looked like we might not have enough coverage on our 1940 Cape Cod. The tone of the letter was that we should look into this. I just rolled my eyes, because we definitely have enough insurance to replace the house (just not using the original building materials, like plaster walls). I figured they were looking at the total appraised value, which includes the land.

Anyway, I just ignored it, and nothing bad has happened. I'm not saying that's what the OP should do--but our letter from WF wasn't urgent sounding.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:37 PM

127 posts, read 355,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I know the OP is old, but we just went through this with our mortgage. We finally gave up and insured up to the value of the loan. We didn't have time to argue, and our mortgage broker (despite being local) was insistent that we had to insure the value of the loan or it wouldn't go through.
That's what we did. We needed to close on the house and BoA (don't get me started... ) just wouldn't give in, even after talking to our insurer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia