Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:43 PM

272 posts, read 1,000,988 times

Advertisements

I posted a few times about NoVa, and want to thank everyone for their insights.

Anyone from Jacksonville, FL on this thread (or know enough about Jax) to offer your thoughts?

What are your thoughts, comparisons?
Any parts of NoVA that are similat to Jax (Especially Mandarin, St. John's County areas).

Any places like Publix?

Give me your thoughts!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 02:08 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
We just moved from Northern Virginia to Jacksonville...actually, St. John's. (Julington Creek).... a few months ago.

And I work for Publix! You won't find anything like Publix anywhere in Northern Virginia. Sorry. I shopped at Giant. It was tolerable. But nothing like Publix!

When we lived in Northern Virginia, we lived in Burke and really liked it! But it's not really anything like St. John's. It's just a totally different lifestyle.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:10 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
I have relatives in Jacksonville (Ponte Vedra) and guess it is apples and oranges.

A lot of St. John's County has a country club-like feel (big houses, very well-tended or manicured grounds, lots of retirees or folks with second homes, plenty of golf courses, all the shopping is in designated areas). There are certainly parts of Loudoun County that have many of those attributes.

Of course, we don't have the same weather as Jacksonville or the beach access. On the other hand, there are way more foreclosures in NE Florida than in NoVa. There are some really nice neighborhoods in St. John's that literally stink because of folks who were foreclosed upon and let their pools turn into squalid ponds of filth. My sense is that not only is the job market better here, but people are also generally more conservative (financially, not politically) and less likely to have over-extended themselves by taking on too much debt.

Sounds like someone who spends more time in grocery stores should compare Publix and Wegmens for the OP.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:34 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
I lived in jax for 3 years, but that was way back in the mid 80s, and I never really liked it, so I am probably not the best person to ask.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 PM

84 posts, read 202,006 times
I lived in Green Cove Springs for 6 months last year and after moving back up north I can say I really miss Publix. Weagmans and maybe Harris Teeters is about as close as you are gonna get to Publix in NoVa. Some of the area's of Loudoun Co are comparable to the Mandarin & Julington Creek-Doctors inlet & Fleming Island(Clay co). Not the same but as far as shopping/schools/services go South Riding (Loudoun), Chantilly (Fairfax), Brambleton area "ashburn"(Loudoun), and Ashburn (Loudoun).

Old 10-09-2010, 07:28 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Wegmens is a good store. But it does not even compare to Publix.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:45 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Wegmens is a good store. But it does not even compare to Publix.
Hi MM! So you moved to Florida--I was wondering what had happened to you. I miss your posts, you always had a great relaxed attitude towards life.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:39 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
We just moved from Northern Virginia to Jacksonville...actually, St. John's. (Julington Creek).... a few months ago.

And I work for Publix! You won't find anything like Publix anywhere in Northern Virginia. Sorry. I shopped at Giant. It was tolerable. But nothing like Publix!

When we lived in Northern Virginia, we lived in Burke and really liked it! But it's not really anything like St. John's. It's just a totally different lifestyle.
I've never been to Jacksonville but I'm from Georgia and we have Publix in Columbus. What do you think of Harris Teeter? Whenever I'm comparing stores here to back home I always say that Harris Teeter is the Publix of VA. I think Giant is kinda like Winn Dixie and Safeway reminds me of less country/ghetto version of Piggly Wiggly.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:07 AM

272 posts, read 1,000,988 times
Thanks everyone for the posts!
MM, what led you to NE FLA?
We are thinking of leaving because of the economy here.
We enjoy living here (my wife was born here, I moved here in 9th grade from NY).
But it's just gotten to be tough to make a living.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:08 PM

389 posts, read 1,229,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizliz0925 View Post
I posted a few times about NoVa, and want to thank everyone for their insights.

Anyone from Jacksonville, FL on this thread (or know enough about Jax) to offer your thoughts?

What are your thoughts, comparisons?
Any parts of NoVA that are similat to Jax (Especially Mandarin, St. John's County areas).

Any places like Publix?

Give me your thoughts!

Thanks!
I was in publix withdraw until wegman's opened. It is the only grocery store that doesn't make me miss publix. It far surpasses it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia