Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 PM

31 posts, read 51,278 times

Advertisements

Hello.

The good people at "Virginia" forum suggested this forum might be a better option for this query. Here is my post there: (https://www.city-data.com/forum/virgi...-live-pwc.html)

I am moving to a new job in Fairfax county. I will have to find a place to stay soon somewhere in Prince William County or Fairfax or some place similarly nearby.

Never been to Virginia before. I am looking to spend not more than $1,500 on either an apartment or a townhouse. I don't mind if the place is a bit away from the city or even within a city, as long as the neighborhood is safe and clean. I would like the commute to stay within around 40~45 minutes.

Could somebody suggest the best way to go about finding an appropriate place to live? Or any particular suggestions as to where I should focus my searches?

Mostly likely, I will have go and stay in a hotel or something for the initial week or so while I search for a more permanent place to live. Suggestions regarding this are also most welcome.

Regarding the commute, my work place is near Springfield Mall.

Thanks!
PS: No kids yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times
I think Springfield would be ideal. It's close to your job and within your budget. If your office relocates or something, Springfield is close 95/495/395 and the Metro. Burke might also be a good option, but with the others you'll have to put up with a longer commute.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:55 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
I would recommend the Burke area over Springfield. To me it feels cleaner and safer. There are walking trails, and close-by shopping (Kohl's, Walmart, Target, Safeway, Starbucks, Giant, etc). The crime is low given the high volume of townhouses. Specific zips would include: 22015, 22152. It's a quiet suburb so you won't find a lot of nightlife, but a safe area. You said "no kids" so I don't know if that means you are or aren't looking for nightlife. Ultimately that will determine the area that you want. There are a lot of options for 45 minutes outside of Springfield Mall area.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:29 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Live as close to your work as you can. Try Fairfax 22032 - Burke is very nice - also West Springfield or North Springfield - other parts of Springfield are not as good - such as the Springfield Mall area.

This area is VERY expensive no matter what part of the country you are coming from - traffic determines where you live and has a HUGE affect on your life - you will see.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 AM

So Burke, Fairfax, North and West Springfield are the main suggestions. Zips 22015, 22152, 22032. If there are other zips here that I missed, please let me know. I have started searching for available places in these areas and knowing the zip helps a lot.

I am sort of try to keep the rent within $1,100. But if that is not possible, or the commute if improved, $1,500 is the max I am willing to go. So that gives an important and specific constraint.

Night life is not a factor in my case. But the trails and parks mentioned are something I prefer. I am even keeping an eye out if I can find a place from where I can occasionally bike to work, but it is not something that is a requirement.

Thanks for the insights to the commuting factor.

I have started to look for and contact realtors. This also new to me. I wonder how much I have to pay them to find me a place to rent.

I am also browsing craigslist, but looks like most of the ads there are by the corporations owning the places, so similar rates as one would get from a realtor (but doing all the work by yourself).

Any other sources to use? How would one go searching for a private land lord for a condo or a townhouse?

Thanks, folks!

Old 10-12-2010, 07:35 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macintosh View Post
I have started to look for and contact realtors. This also new to me. I wonder how much I have to pay them to find me a place to rent.

I am also browsing craigslist, but looks like most of the ads there are by the corporations owning the places, so similar rates as one would get from a realtor (but doing all the work by yourself).

Any other sources to use? How would one go searching for a private land lord for a condo or a townhouse?

Thanks, folks!
The zips you are looking at are your best bet as far as close to work and nice, safe areas. If you use a realtor to find a rental, you don't have to pay anything. The fees are paid by the property owners. But be clear and firm on your criteria because sometimes realtors "underestimate" a commute during rush hours to steer you to areas that they prefer.

As far as where to look for places, I suggest Craig's List, MilitarybyOwner.com - Real Estate near U.S. Military Bases , and HomesDatabase - Home for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania . You may also want to check out rentals on the Washington Post online. I don't think you'll find as many there, but it's another source.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:54 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macintosh View Post

You do not pay the Realtor for their service. They receive their commission from the individuals listing the homes for rent.

I would suggest using Find Real Estate Listings, School and Neighborhood Information and More - Realtor.com®. You can put in your search parameters to see the results. I used that sight to find the condo I rented.

Keep in mind that when renting from a private owner, they usually require a security deposit equaling the amount of a month's rent. Whereas, an apartment complex will require only $300 - $500 security deposit.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have checked realtor.com website and I have shortlisted several listings that appear interesting. I am yet to check the other sites mentioned.

Any tips on contacting the agent? Is there any hidden fee I should be on the lookout for? Recall that I am yet to arrive in VA. I will be there in some weeks time and would like to see various places and select within the shortest possible time. For that initial period, I am trying to see if I can get some basement apt. for a short duration (apparently, they might be available without a lease).

So, in what related matters should I prepare before leaving for VA?

Thank you, folks, this is every helpful!

Edit: formatting.

Last edited by macintosh; 10-12-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 10-12-2010, 10:59 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
I posted this about Kingstown: https://www.city-data.com/forum/16105471-post4.html

It's also not far from Springfield Mall area

Old 10-12-2010, 12:42 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I posted this about Kingstown: https://www.city-data.com/forum/16105471-post4.html

It's also not far from Springfield Mall area
Living in kingstowne would make your commute only 10 minutes, which would be quite nice. That would be a good place to add to your search. You'll be much closer to $1500 than $1100 though.

I would suggest looking at the "short term" section on CL. You will likely find someone willing to rent you a room for a week or two while you get your bearings and figure out a place to live. If you can come a few days before you start working so you can test out various commutes at rush hour, that would be a good plan as well. Traffic really does dictate where you want to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia