Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:07 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Del Ray is walkable and quaint but small town as opposed to urban. And it's above the $300K maximum unless you're willing to live in a questionable area/house.

Del Ray is also an interesting choice, and would suit quite well if it were affordable. The houses there are certainly too high for the target. Are there even any condos there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Del Ray is also an interesting choice, and would suit quite well if it were affordable. The houses there are certainly too high for the target. Are there even any condos there?
Using a search engine, I found the Mosby condominiums. It's not your typical high-rise though which may be good or not, depending on your preferences. I would predict, as others have, that a 2BR may be out of your price range.

Del Ray Apartments opened/will be opening on the northern end of Del Ray along main drag Mt. Vernon Avenue.

How about Falls Church? If I'm not mistaken, there are a number of condos on or near Broad Street. The downtown area, at least, is fairly walkable. If the West Falls Church Metro isn't walking distance, the city's own buses should connect you there easier. I would guesstimate your chances of finding a 2BR in the hypothetical range would be good here.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM

216 posts, read 632,752 times
300K won't get you one of the newer condos in Falls Church, but there are a couple of older/modest condo complexes around Falls Church that may fit this budget.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
And, unfortunately, as of this writing, Falls Church is bus-less as the city pulled the plug on George a couple of weeks ago.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-19-2010, 07:24 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
My first thought was Old Town Alexandria, but that's been recommended.

I'd suggest Bethesda but it's not in Virginia, and it's probably too expensive. But it meets all of your other requirements and wouldn't be addressed on either the Baltimore or DC boards. There is an older condo development there on East-West Highway called the Riviera (technically it has a Chevy Chase address but it's only two blocks from the Bethesda Metro) that is within walking distance of all Bethesda amenities.

I looked up the prices and there is a 2BR/2BA unit for $399K.

Chevy Chase Condos $300K - $500K

If you are totally against Maryland, then I guess I would suggest Falls Church City as an alternative. I can't think of any place else that really fits.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
If the only reason this hypothetical couple needs a 2 BR condo is for hosting visiting adult child, I'd suggest focusing on a 1 BR condo and having adult child either sleep on a pull-out sofa or stay in a hotel. Depending upon the number of expected visiting days per year, that could be a very expensive extra bedroom.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:12 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
And, unfortunately, as of this writing, Falls Church is bus-less as the city pulled the plug on George a couple of weeks ago.
Dagnabbit!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:52 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Sadly what you seek does not exist in NoVA. You can't find "urban", "walkable", "quaint", and "under-$300k" in the same sentence. Also realize that people in NoVA tend to have very different standards as to what is walkable/quaint/urban as to most of the rest of the country (i.e. people who think Reston, decidedly a low-density sprawling suburb, is urban/walkable/quaint when it's clearly not by traditional definitions). Poor urban planning 30 years ago doomed this area today, and we don't have the billions upon billions of dollars it would take to make this area better (hence why I'm now voting with my feet and leaving, as are others I know).

Winchester may suit your bill, but it's a long haul from Baltimore and isn't at all convenient to DC. Ditto Fredericksburg. Anything closer in is generally either non-walkable, walkable and bland (i.e. Columbia Pike Corridor), or walkable and uber-$$$ (i.e. Old Town).

Please don't make the same mistake I made and move here without doing thorough research. A year-and-a-half of my life was wasted here, and I'll never get that back.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:15 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
LOL, OP is one of our forum regulars and has lived in Arlington and nearby areas since 1993--I think he knows the basics about Nova. My guess is he's hoping one of us knows of a specific place with a fabulous deal he hadn't uncovered before. It never hurts to ask, as they say.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:39 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
It's a little further out but what about Occoquan? Just had a friend buy a very large condo right on the water for well under the 300K limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia