Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:32 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
A WMATA employee testified years ago that every mass transit agency proposes expanding access to far flung locations, not because they thought it would happen or was feasible, but to get political support for the public transportation system from areas that are not well served by them. Meaning, most proposals are really pie in the sky wish lists that are utter B.S.

Hey that streetcar line may happen, but if anyone moves there expecting it to happen, you may be in for a long wait.

The Columbia Pike LRT is a proposal by Arlington County, not by WMATA, IIUC. It may not happen, but I do think Arlington is pretty serious about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Looks like there really isn't any place in Virginia that would work for hyp couple. Thinking way outside the box, they might want to follow Joe Biden's example and live in Delaware. It would be a long train ride to work in the morning, but otherwise Wilmington works for their interests.

Hypo couple would certainly pick Baltimore over Wilmington.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:30 PM

Default Cameron Station

The nabe itself has a great neo-urban feel, a few nice shops, walkable proximity to ben brenman park, and to the Alex central library. And lots of buses, afaict, to Van dorn metro and king street metro.

Not really fully urban walkable (even as much as Shirlington) though, and just a tad on the expensive side - 2br 2ba condos seem to list from about 350k.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:38 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
The nabe itself has a great neo-urban feel, a few nice shops, walkable proximity to ben brenman park, and to the Alex central library. And lots of buses, afaict, to Van dorn metro and king street metro.

Not really fully urban walkable (even as much as Shirlington) though, and just a tad on the expensive side - 2br 2ba condos seem to list from about 350k.
I've never been inside the neighborhood to see any of the shops but I definitely agree with everything else. I see it as sort of a "cul-de-sac"-like oasis within the city. Plus you can get plenty of exercise running up and down those garage-high steps!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I've never been inside the neighborhood to see any of the shops but I definitely agree with everything else. I see it as sort of a "cul-de-sac"-like oasis within the city. Plus you can get plenty of exercise running up and down those garage-high steps!
Of course if we moved there it would be to a condo, not a TH.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:48 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Of course if we moved there it would be to a condo, not a TH.
LOL There goes the "exercise"!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Thoughts:

1. If you must have a 2BR condo for under 300K, I think your options are limited to Vienna, Columbia Pike, or possibly East Falls Church.

2. Folks, Navy Yard is already on the Metro--the green line. The Navy Yard stop is right across the street from NGA.

3. I think the best deals right now are Columbia Pike (which is only gonna go up in value) or possibly Anacostia (even more upward potential but a good bit grittier and less retail for now).

4. If investment potential isn't the main concern for you, I'd still lean toward the outer reaches of the Orange Line (EFC or beyond). The good schools are a waste in your case, but you get a lot less crime and probably more folks you'll have something in common with (active retired upper-income Baby Boomers).

5. Easiest real estate site to use, by far, is Search Homes for Sale & Find Real Estate Agents Who Put You First | Redfin. It actually updates faster than the realtors' own website, homesdatabase.com. Go figure.

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:58 PM

lets try this again with an additional challenge added.

Suppose one member of hypothetical couple has gotten involved in FFX county politics and has decided they need to stay in FFX county (and that means the COUNTY, not FFX city or Falls Church). Assume all else remains the same - prefer walkable and/or quaint, reasonable commute to DC (with metro or frequent bus access preferred), targeting at least a 2BR condo. To make it a tad easier, lets ease the price constraint to 340K.

This has eliminated Falls Church proper, Del Ray, all the Arlington options. not to mention all the MD/DC options.

I guess whats left is Vienna, Reston, Baileys/Skyline (not quaint or all that walkable, but LRT on the way, and relatively affordable). And maybe Merrifield.
Tysons can't possibly be worth it, can it?

Other ideas?
Huntington? Metro access good - nothing at all walkable is there? though at least close to Old Town Alex.
Kingstowne?

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 06-16-2011 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
What about Park Terrace condo in Town of Vienna? Close to Maple Avenue, W&OD bike trail, and town stuff. Not too fancy, but 2BR/1BA is certainly within the hypothetical budget.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:10 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
If you can wait until the silver line is completed, you might consider the historic section of Herndon. It's not huge, but it does have lots of charm, a few interesting stores as well as practical shops, a great farmers market, community events throughout the year, the W&OD, a good library, and lots of restaurants all within a few blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia