Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:51 AM

262 posts, read 2,025,970 times

Advertisements

I live about 30 miles from DC in Maryland, and actually commute about 45 miles to Bethesda (note to employers - the worst location for a new office unless you want only Silver Spring, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Rockville, and NW DC employees!!!)

Just as a heads-up, there *are* nice areas close to DC in Virginia, but with the exception of Arlington and Old Town Alexandria, which don't offer much in terms of affordable single family homes, they are a little dull and same-y (Fairfax County is total boring suburbia, sort of how I feel about Montgomery County in MD) and even if you go farther out to Loudoun or Prince William County it doesn't get too much more exciting. If you go really far out you get charming bed & breakfast restaurants, beautiful horse country, and in some areas, lakes and rivers for boating, but keep in mind that Rtes 7, 66, and 95 in VA are miserable. Expect at least 1 1/2 hours each way to DC, though it's better in the evening. Tradeoffs, gotta love them...

FYI, VT Hokie, I'm sure most people here already know this, but people move farther out for a variety of reasons. By moving to Anne Arundel County in Maryland, I did not move to a "cheap" area to buy a "McMansion." I moved to Crownsville (average home - $700K... my house - 1100 sq. feet) because I am a block from the Severn River for swimming and boating, the neighborhood is extremely safe, downtown Annapolis is a blast for shopping & dining, and it put me within an easy drive to friends and family in PG, Baltimore, Howard, and Anne Arundel County. I carpool to work and don't think twice about the 1 1/2 hour commute, even though it sucks sometimes, I know it's well worth it. Just because people choose to work in DC doesn't mean they want to deal with the DC environment on their days off.

I'm from east Tennessee and for me, the area surrounding Annapolis is the anti-DC - which is great!!! Bethesda? Silver Spring? Arlington? They're all OK, but you can keep 'em. Dreamfollower, as far as I'm convinced, you might find a cool house as far out as Culpeper (check out Foti's restaurant!) if you can stomach the drive. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia