Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 8,982 times

Advertisements

I'm 32 and single and set to take a job in Arlington in the next two months. I'm currently looking for places to live and am really torn between Clarendon and DC. If I live in DC, I am mainly interested in Foggy Bottom or the West End so that I can get to work easier. Can people offer me some insight? I'm interested mainly in terms of how my social life will be affected, but am also curious about things like traffic to/from work. It certainly seems like you get more for your money in terms of rent in Clarendon, but not by much. Cultural activities don't matter that much to me, but I would like easy access to happy hours, etc. in order to meet new people. Also, how easy is access to DC (Dupont Circle, U Street) from Clarendon? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 06:02 PM

8,985 posts, read 21,197,675 times
Assuming you're open to taking the Metrorail, getting to most any of the more popular places in DC from Clarendon is a snap...not to mention (possibly) your job.

Clarendon is said to be the social mecca for 20somethings. So there's a chance you may feel a tad "beyond" it. Then again, I know one or two younger 30somethings that still enjoy hanging out there.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you give me a sense of what a "reverse commute" from Foggy Bottom to North George Mason Drive would be like in the mornings?

How long would you say it takes to get from the Clarendon Metro to Dupont circle (it looks like there is at least 1 transfer based on the Metro map).

Would you say the scene in Foggy Bottom/West End is a bit older than Clarendon?

Thanks again.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 PM

8,985 posts, read 21,197,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elayboy View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Can you give me a sense of what a "reverse commute" from Foggy Bottom to North George Mason Drive would be like in the mornings?

How long would you say it takes to get from the Clarendon Metro to Dupont circle (it looks like there is at least 1 transfer based on the Metro map).

Would you say the scene in Foggy Bottom/West End is a bit older than Clarendon?

Thanks again.
I can only answer your second question with some confidence. On the Metro website wmata.com, it predicts a 20 minute commute. That may not allow for waiting between trains which may average a few minutes at rush hour or up to 15 minutes in-between. When you visit the site, click on "Rail" at the top of the page, then "Stations". That will give you an idea of fares and commute times.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:39 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,438,859 times
You can also take the Georgetown shuttle bus from Rosslyn to DuPont Circle, as it stops at both Metro stations. It can be faster than transfers, especially if you want to disembark en route. Georgetown Metro Connection | Georgetown BID | Washington DC (http://www.georgetowndc.com/getting-here/shuttle - broken link)

Foggy Bottom is a funny area, I think, for living. On the one hand you have the GW students and then you have DINKs and Empty Nesters in condos at the other end of the spectrum. Aside from places around GW, there are not nearly as many happy hour spots as Georgetown, but you're also not terribly far from Georgetown. Georgetown has the students, too, but the area also has enough of a diverse age spectrum so that it's not as focused on the school as is the case with GW and Foggy Bottom.

The West End also seems to attract a mix of professional couples, DINKs and Empty Nesters who want to live in the city, but I would not characterize it as a vibrant scene that's filled with street-level cafes, restaurants, bars, and clubs. For that, you would be looking to other neighborhoods in the city, which are convenient to the West End, but not so much in the West End.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-12-2010, 09:21 PM

So it seems like Clarendon would be a better fit in terms of having many young people around and having access to DC via the Metro as well. What would a cab ride cost from Clarendon to Dupont? I've also heard that some cabs refuse to go to VA from DC, especially late at night. Is this true?

Lastly, I was eyeing a place in Clarendon - Lyon Place. It looks like it is still under construction but I wonder if people know anything about this building or the people who run it.

Thanks again.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:30 AM

20 posts, read 56,989 times
Something you may want to also consider is your tax burden. In general DC becomes more expensive and VA becomes more appealing as your income goes up. If you're making more than $40k, income tax in DC is 8.5% vs 5.75% in VA. ... there are other factors to consider, like how expensive your car is, whether or not you're buying a home, etc, but income is a quick-and-dirty indicator of which would serve you best financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia