Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 02:25 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,136,244 times

Advertisements

The proposed improvements include adding two lanes of through traffic and two left-turn lanes onto Seminary Road from the northbound I-395 ramp; adding triple right turns onto Seminary from Mark Center Drive; adding a pedestrian bridge over Seminary; and dedicated lanes for left-turning vehicles to I-395 and Seminary from northbound Beauregard Street.

The long-term solution of a flyover ramp from the HOV or HOT lanes to the site is also being studied.

The Department of Defense has agreed that Alexandria's DASH bus system could provide a new express bus route from either the King Street or Franconia-Springfield Metro stations to the site. Four routes from each Metro station are in the process of being tested. The King Street runs are averaging about 30 to 45 minutes round trip in both morning and afternoon rushes. The Franconia-Springfield runs are averaging those same times going one way.

Dr. Gridlock - Mark Center traffic fixes reviewed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 04:27 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,886,482 times
Anything that increases road capacity in this area (well, with certain basic caveats, of course) is a-ok in my book. And, yes, more frequent runs of the more popular bus routes, too.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:46 PM

384 posts, read 1,030,929 times
I think adding turn lanes to Seminary is a great idea. It is a much better solution than running the HOV lane through the park next door. Thanks for posting the link. I am very interested in this topic.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,992,123 times
Are they still planning on running lanes through the park, or was that just one of many ideas? I'm fine with running an HOV lane through the park if nessary, but if we can avoid that it would be even better.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:58 PM

214 posts, read 500,368 times
Those changes will help a little, but I think it's still going to be a mess. I'm glad I don't live off that intersection anymore, but I'm worried about the spillover effects to the Lincolnia exit I take and the awful Little River Turnpike and Beauregard intersection.

As far as the park, you're talking about the Winkler preserve? I think they decided against it (I think they should just build the darn thing wherever it can go), but even if they decide to make a flyover ramp, it's years away.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:26 PM

491 posts, read 1,172,925 times
I truly don't think anything's going to be enough to efficiently handle the traffic.

Going from N. Beauregard to get to 395, once you make that right-hand turn, you are almost immediately at a traffic light. They'd have to significantly lengthen the green to keep a good amount of traffic flowing and not get backed up along Beauregard (and the many traffic lights there). I don't think that new turn lanes are going to cut it. The apartment or condo building that is opposite the hotel gets its own light to get onto Seminary--that adds to the waits.

That used to be my route to 395 and into the District for work (I could've gone the other way to Little River Turnpike, but as chocolatelover alludes to, that intersection is a mess, and even more so since some brilliant traffic engineer added another light in front of Grand Mart).

I can't imagine what riding down Little River to 395 is going to be like for me. Just way too much traffic.

The pedestrian bridge: Where are people coming from that they would need it? It's not like there's a big Metrobus stop (like at Shirlington) or a Metro station. Are they thinking that there are parking lots that side of Seminary the workers would be using? All I can envision is the huge pedestrian bridge at 7 Corners, in the back where Barnes & Noble is. Not sure that would fit in with the Seminary/Beauregard area.

I'm just still astounded that they'd do this in the middle of a residential neighborhood -- do you know how many apartment complexes are there, and a school, too! It's going to be too many people in too little space.

It would thrill me to no end if I were pleasantly surprised that the folks in charge turn out a good, workable solution. But I just can't see it right now.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:19 PM

15,161 posts, read 27,880,396 times
I don't know that those turn lanes will help - what's already bad is the folks that get off 395 and immediately try to force themselves over, it's only going to get worse. (I just don't understand why they didn't build on Eisenhower (as far as I know, there is still a huge empty building), at least there could be shuttle service from Metro which (in my mind) should have been an overriding factor.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:44 AM

50 posts, read 131,575 times
The pedestrian bridge is being contemplated because a lot of buses serve Southern Towers apartments across Seminary. The number of routes is substantial -- but, unlike Shirlington, there is not a nice bus depot. While some routes might be rerouted to better serve Mark Center, most will not be -- it adds time for other travelers and small increases in route time can result in substantial cost increases if additional buses/drivers are needed to accomodate the expanded route. Add to that the fact that Seminary is nearly impossible to safely cross there, and I do think that a pedestrian bridge or tunnel should be considered.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:44 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,308,954 times
I'd prefer a fly-over from the beltway to my house.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,136,244 times
Pedestrian bridges are useful because busses can drop off their passengers at a site away from where more of the cars are driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia