Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 9,585 times

Advertisements

I'm working in Dulles, VA and I need a place to live thats not too boring...most of the stuff around here (Ashburn/Sterling) is nice and not too expensive, but it's mostly families. I want a place where I can meet people and have some fun but I dont want to have to drive an hour to get to work. I've heard Arlington is the place to go, but I'm concerned it will be too far. Anybody have any idea of what the commute would be like during peak traffic hours? Or any other living suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 09:04 AM

257 posts, read 1,131,013 times
South Riding, beautiful, Close and lots to do

Old 07-13-2007, 09:08 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
Depends on what you're looking for, and can afford. Herndon, Reston, Mclean, Centreville are all nice places to live. These towns are mostly family orientated, but have a solid amount of single professionals too. Areas in Fairlakes are also nice too.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
Depends on what you're looking for, and can afford. Herndon, Reston, Mclean, Centreville are all nice places to live. These towns are mostly family orientated, but have a solid amount of single professionals too. Areas in Fairlakes are also nice too.
yeah fairlakes has alot of condos and townhomes popping up near the mall. Pretty pricy for what you actually have in space, But very very nice and talk about things to do. There is ALOT to do

Old 07-13-2007, 09:31 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
The Reston Town center area has condos etc... and resturants. If I was single that's where I'd live in this area. South riding is nice but it's like Ashburn mostly families.

The cascades area near the shopping center with Home Depot...has some TH close by and with the resturants etc... I'd say more singles/young are there.

Fairlakes is nice too.

To me Arlington would be great except the commute would be not so nice.

Alexandria would be too far. Arlington is closer.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:34 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,267 times
Agree with the statements about Fair Lakes area. There is a lot of shopping [Whole Foods, small boutiques, restaurants, movies]. Don't know what the traffic is like coming towards Dulles from that area in the morning. South Riding is very family oriented, I believe. I live in Reston, but that area's a bit family oriented, too.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
Agree with the statements about Fair Lakes area. There is a lot of shopping [Whole Foods, small boutiques, restaurants, movies]. Don't know what the traffic is like coming towards Dulles from that area in the morning. South Riding is very family oriented, I believe. I live in Reston, but that area's a bit family oriented, too.
fair lakes is fairly close to Dulles, you do not even have to take a major highway. I love that area, its generally crowded as far as it never dying down. but nice area i love it there

Old 07-13-2007, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 9,585 times
Thanks for all the replies!

Anybody have any thoughts on actual properties, perhaps in the Herndon or Fair Lakes areas?

Also, anyone know the general range in commute time from Arlington...the older people I work with are really pushing it because they want to live vicariously through the young, single me.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:44 PM

182 posts, read 540,522 times
Default Arlington is your best bet

For nightlife and excitement in NOVA, your best bet is Arlington. Depending on where in Dulles you work, the commute from Ballston (the westernmost exciting neighborhood of Arlington) would be about 30-45 minutes. It is a reverse commute for the most part, but there is congestion on 66 inside the beltway in both directions during the morning and afternoon rush.

A good alternative to Arlington is Falls Church. It's a quaint little town with its own bar/restaurant scene, and is only a 5 minute drive to the East Falls Church and West Falls Church metro stops. It is the area just west of Ballston. The commute to the Dulles area will be between 25 and 35 minutes. I currently live in Falls Church and commute to Chantilly...the commute is very doable, no traffic, and close enough to Arlington and DC to get out on weeknights and weekends.

There are young singles outside of the Beltway too. Your best bets would be the Fair Lakes/Fair Oaks area, the Government Center/Fairfax Corner area (between 50 and 7100 just south of 66), and Reston (specifically at the Town Center). However, these areas are more suburban in nature and not as conveniently located to DC as Falls Church and Arlington.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:05 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
This is something that I would be struggling with too were I in your shoes as I have very little tolerance for commuting but at the same time really would prefer to live in an actual vibrant community with more people my age.

I don't know if I could stomach the Arlington-Dulles commute. It gets pretty gridlocked up until you hit the Beltway so you could be stuck in your car for some time. If it were 2015 however and the Metro was running out to Dulles as scheduled, I would definitely choose Arlington. With the situation as it is though, I think I'd have to go more middle-ground and choose a place in Reston.

Personally, I'd go with Reston over Fair Lakes. Fair Lakes actually never seemed to me to be that hopping of an area with young people. They're there, and it's not quite as geared towards families as other areas, largely because of the large number of apartments and condos rather than single family homes, but it's still pretty much quintessential suburbia. Reston won't be confused with Arlington by any means either, but it just seems more lively and interesting to me than Fair Lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia