Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 AM

9 posts, read 17,825 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'll be moving to Northern Virginia at the end of January and could use some advice with regard to where to live. Can you apartment-dwellers and renters offer some advice to a NOVA newbie?

- I'll be working next to the Dulles Airport, right off it's north-west corner.
- I'm hoping to keep my commute to under 30 minutes, if possible. No more than an hour.
- I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment or studio. I wouldn't mind renting a part of a house, or even a whole tiny house. I don't want to share a bathroom or kitchen.
- I would prefer to live in an actual town, instead of a suburb or development or planned community or whatever they're called. But of course, it depends on what's more affordable.
- Rent needs to be at or under $1000 per month.... I realize that's pretty low for the area. I can live farther away, if need be.
- I like walking, parks, nature, old-fashioned buildings, restaurants, bars, etc.
- I'm comfortable with diversity.
- I have cats.

When I was out interviewing, I drove through Leesburg and really liked the feel of it. Could anyone offer apartment suggestions for Leesburg? Or warnings for what apartments to stay away from? From other forum posts it sounds like the north-east corner is considered sort of sketchy? Is that true?

Any other towns vaguely around Dulles would be cool too! Quite frankly, I fixated on Leesburg because I actually saw it, but I'm open to anywhere.

Anyhoo, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 05:48 AM

446 posts, read 1,647,823 times
I don't know too much about this area---but I do know that Route 28 South below Route 50 can get pretty traffic-ridden, so you may want to stay on an east-west trajectory with the airport.

Herndon I know has some areas that are a bit seedy. I would do a Craigslist search and see what comes up for $1,000 and under.

One unfortunate thing about this area is that even when you move far out from the District proper, you still don't get that much of a break in rent as areas out the Dulles Toll Road are just as desirable. Good luck to you!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:03 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,198 times
Try Hamilton or Purcellville also, they are west of the Airport, smaller than Leesburg and have a similar feel. Round Hill may be a little farther but it is a lovely area. Also try zips 20165 and 20166 in Sterling, sometimes a basement apartment in a home will be available. www.Homesdatabase.com also has rental listings in the area.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the info... I appreciate it!

I'm definitely keeping an eye on Craigslist, and I'll check out some of those smaller towns, too. I've also been looking at local realtors, for rentals.

Thanks again!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:41 AM

57 posts, read 343,024 times
I used to work @ the airport. If you're looking for a very short commute then look into Sterling, Herndon, Reston, and/or Leesburg. Back then I used to live in West Springfield and it took a very long time to get to work. (pain the arse when you have to get to the orange lot, take the shuttle, go through empl. security, then another shuttle to C & D term...total trip from house to clock in, almost two hours.) Someone mentioned Purceville but I would not recommend it, it's almost country and it's pretty far. If you want something cheap (maybe a basement) and close to Dulles, I would recommend Herndon + Sterling. Leesburg is much more expensive but way better of an area. A step down to Leesburg would be Reston.
Just my opinion though. Some who lives in the immediate area can help more.
I can say that I work in Herndon and it's literaly 10-15mins from Dulles.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 PM

Two hour trip from stoop to clock-in? Oh my god. That's intense!

Thanks for the info... I'll look into the areas you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia