Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:59 PM

7 posts, read 23,545 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're moving from the midwest to Dulles area. Is there a place that's an easy commute to the airport area and relatively cheap? Less than $400k? We've seen a few places online in Ashburn, Leesburg, & Sterling. Is sterling worth checking out? we have young children and are use to our very safe suburb. How long is the commute from Leesburg to airport? Also, is Bristow too far? Ashburn sounds the best, but there aren't a lot of properties there. Also, is there a metro/ train that connects to any cities from airport? Lot's of ?'s I know, but we just sold our house and need to find a place there quickly. Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 06:33 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,321,400 times
I live in Ashburn and it takes me about 10 minutes (no traffic) to get to the airport...a little longer in traffic. We chose it b/c we like the area and the schools and having young children, it just felt safe for us.
We did look in parts of Sterling but with the negative light that is shed on "Sterling" (some parts are lovely but the name gets a bad rap) we wanted someplace where if we had to move the name wouldn't deter people from buying. Know what I mean?
I don't think Leesburg is all that much further in terms of a commute for you...depends on where in Leesburg. I think River's Crossing is right off Rt 7 and should only add an additional 10 minutes or so to your commute. But if you go further into Leesburg, traffic could be a real issue.
There are not a lot of properties in terms of single family homes in Ashburn for your price BUT there are some now since the market is bad and it is worth checking out.
My suggestion is to get a good realtor (I can recommend one if you would like) and see what is out there. If you look in Sterling, check out Lowes Island, the Cascades, and COuntryside. I find these to be very nice.
Good luck!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the info. I will check those places out. Didn't think I would like sterling, but worth mentioning since the prices seemed right. We have an appt with a realtor on thursday to go check it out. If she doesn't work out I will ctc you with your reccommendation.
Thx

Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,965,307 times
Sorry, there is no metro train from the airport, in our dreams maybe. Countryside section of 20165 would be perfect for you, a straight shot down rt 28, 10 -15 mins to the airport. It has swimming pools, jog/walk paths and very reasonably priced homes. It was started in the 80's and has mature trees that were left by the developers and newly planted trees that are quite large by now. I can send you some listings privately that would suit your needs (no strings attached). Just PM me if you would like this.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,896,537 times
FROM LEESBURG:
Even in the worst traffic...your commute to Dulles airport would be 30-40 minutes tops. I used to avg 25 minutes from Batllefield pkwy and rt15 to Dulles on rt 7 and 28. If you pay the $$$ on the toll you can make it from King street to Dulles airport in 20minutes no matter what time of day. (I've made from door to terminal in 15 minutes at 6am...but not obeying all speed limits!!)

Prices have dropped in Leesburg and you can get a nice house in a good subdivision with great schools for 400-450k.
Look in Potomac Crossing & Potomac Station for some real great bargins.
Exeter will have slightly smaller houses and lots but still excellent schools.
All 3 have neighborhood pool, jogging trails,Tennis courts etc...Potomac Crossing has the Balls Bluff battlefiled right in hte neighborhood...a nice hike down to the potomac river etc..

So don't discount Leesburg because you think it would be a bad commute.
yes, Ashburn would be ideal since Dulles backs up to the area, but it is more $$$ than Leesburg.

Parts of Sterling are also worth considering....many threads on this. Search the forum for lots of neighborhoods etc...
I'd just say stay in the Potomac Falls HS pyramid for great schools in Sterling.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:33 PM

257 posts, read 1,132,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
Sorry, there is no metro train from the airport, in our dreams maybe. Countryside section of 20165 would be perfect for you, a straight shot down rt 28, 10 -15 mins to the airport. It has swimming pools, jog/walk paths and very reasonably priced homes. It was started in the 80's and has mature trees that were left by the developers and newly planted trees that are quite large by now. I can send you some listings privately that would suit your needs (no strings attached). Just PM me if you would like this.
funny you say in our dreams haha. metro is on its way to dulles. may take as long as the mixing bowl but itll be good for our grandkids kids!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:09 AM

449 posts, read 1,395,318 times
Were you looking for a TH or single family house? For $400K it will be very difficult finding a SFH in any area that's worth lving in. Stay away from Sterling Park. That area is south of Hwy 7 and suffers a bad reputation. It has received a lot press lately about the county government trying to clean up the subdivision. That's too bad as there are some pretty homes there; it's just that for every one decent home there are plenty of bad ones complete with cars parked on lawns, grass that needs to mowed, garbage laying around. You get the picture.

Also, I would stay away from a subdivision north of Hwy 7 in Sterling called Sugarland Run. While not quite a s bad as Sterling Park it has its share of run down homes. People really seem to like Countryside but when we looked for a place to buy we just didn't see anything decent under $400 in the subdivision. Inside a loop called Algonkian Parkway Countryside homes are $450k and up (when we looked). The Countryside neighborhood outside the loop had homes priced anywhere from $325 to $400 but those were smaller, cheaply built (IMHO) and many did not have garages. I couldn't help but feel that specific area of Countryside would turn into Sterling Park or Sugarland Run in a few years. Home prices here have dropped like a rock in both good and bad neighborhoods, though housing here is still ridiculously high versus any where else.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 AM

I'm glad to hear Leesburg isn't that bad of a commute. From the sound of it we may have to consider renting a home. Have never done that, but maybe next year will be a better year for us to buy. I will check out all those locations tomorrow when I get there. I know that here in the midwest, renting isn't really that popular and I could see that it would be harder to feel a part of the community. Maybe it's different there. Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,321,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2fly View Post
I'm glad to hear Leesburg isn't that bad of a commute. From the sound of it we may have to consider renting a home. Have never done that, but maybe next year will be a better year for us to buy. I will check out all those locations tomorrow when I get there. I know that here in the midwest, renting isn't really that popular and I could see that it would be harder to feel a part of the community. Maybe it's different there. Thanks everyone for your help!
You could always check out a rent to own home as well. A lot of sellers will do anything to unload their homes...including this option.
Enjoy your stay while you are here looking. It is really a lovely area!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,741,161 times
I would suggest South Riding. The commute to Dulles Airport is easy by taking Rt 606 to the back entrance about 6 miles away. South Riding is great for raising kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia