Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 AM

24 posts, read 38,269 times

Advertisements

We've found a house to rent in the Sugarland Run neighborhood. Is this a safe neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
It's not a bad place, but it's an older neighborhood and a little run down. It attracts lower income residents, for what that is worth. I feel safe walking around in there, but it's not my favorite place to walk. You occasionally see a few people hanging around that could make you apprehensive. To be fair, you won't always see people hanging around and I doubt they'll do anything to bother you, but a little street sense is a good thing.

The crime is mostly cars parked on the street being burglarized, that sort of thing. I look ata comparison of crime stats a few days ago, and Sterling, in general, didn't seem scarey. In other words, very low compared to most cities in the country. OTOH, and FWIW, Sterling Park was listed as the section most likely to have crime, and Sugarland Run was second most likely. The one thing that does make me nervous about living in that area would be a few people who live there who have really bad driving. I've seen a few close calls in that area-- I would be a little nervous about letting kids play near the busier streets.

Bottom line: if you love the place and the rent is a really good deal, go for it. If it's not special, or if you see similar places in Cascades, I'd take the choice in Cascades.

Last edited by Caladium; 01-07-2011 at 10:13 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 06:40 AM

60 posts, read 118,651 times
Default Yes, It's Fine (and has been improving)

I'm very familiar with Sugarland--we live one subdivision over from there, in Seneca Chase. I frequently go for walks in Sugarland, and my kids' elementary school is there (meadowland). Granted, it's not as fancy as some of the newer neighborhoods in the area, but I have noticed that there have been some major improvements in the past few years. A lot of foreclosed houses have been bought up, beautifully renovated, and resold to young families looking for more affordable housing. Also, they have recently renovated the Sugarland Run Community Center (Next to the swimming pool). This center was actually shuttered for several years but is now a very attractive gathering place. Safety-wise, it's doubtful much will happen to you--the main issue seems to be car break-ins and thefts of GPS devices, which now seems endemic to much of Eastern Loudoun. Some ordinary precautions should be able to mitigate this issue, though (such as not keeping that visible GPS on your windshield over night).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia