Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:57 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,483,928 times

Advertisements

Since the ice/sleet stuff is blanketing the northern parts of Maryland and Pennsylvania, I'd head south to Wintergreen (near Charlottesville).

For those of you who love snow, have fun! (I'll be home cleaning out closets because I hate the stuff!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 AM

265 posts, read 955,229 times
Went to Wintergreen a few weeks ago and it was a blast. It was only about 2 hours from Manassas and a very easy drive. You can stay in the resort area on the mountain or get a hotel about 15 minutes away. We chose to stay at an outside motel and it was extremely reasonable.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 PM
TPL

136 posts, read 318,276 times
Post Ski Away!

Some friends and I just hit-up Massanutten last Saturday (29JAN11), but I never realized how long the drive is, since my family and I have always spent the weekend there before. I used to go to Ski Liberty every Friday night, since I had a season pass deal through a school. Also, Whitetail was the very first place I skied, and I was actually asked to join their ski team at the time. I have also skied at Seven Springs before.

Now, having said all that, here' my breakdown of these places:

Ski Liberty- This mountain is the closest drive to our area, and it's great if you intend on doing some night skiing, or only hitting the slopes for a few hours. It's also a great place to ski/snowboard if you intend on going often. FYI- Be cautious leaving late at night, since Carroll Valley used to set-up ticket traps on the back route out of the resort (ie, The corner of SR 116, and SR 16). You might be safer driving the longer route through Gettysburg later at night, but I can't guarantee that.

Whitetail- They are a little bit of a longer drive than Ski Liberty, but not by much. They have the best bunny hills, and my instructor experience there was awesome. They also divide the difficulty of the slopes in a very distinct manner, with the easier slopes being to the left side of the mountain (When facing it), the intermediate slopes in the middle, and the black diamonds to the right. Their easier slopes (Green circles) are among the best IMO, and they really define what beginner slopes should be at every mountain. I remember the ramp drop off some of the ski lifts being really steep, but that was about it. I've been to Whitetail at least a few times, and I loved it each time.

Massanutten- Hands down I feel that it has the best resort, with a wide variety of accommodations. I was taken there multiple times of the year with my family, and I enjoyed each and every season. During January many years ago, we went there for my birthday, and we stayed at Eagle Trace on the Hill. The view was AMAZING, especially with the newly fallen snow and foraging deer nearby. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, and the day long skiing was great. However, my one piece of caution would be regarding slope difficulty. Massanutten's slopes all seem to be more difficult per their individual ratings, as opposed to the previously mentioned mountains. A green slope (Beginner/Easier) at Massanutten could easily qualify as a blue (Intermediate) at the other resorts. One of the blues I tried as Massanutten many years ago was IMO a rather steep slope, and it was the steepest blue I'd ever been on. Just keep all of that in mind when skiing at Massanutten. Also, the main building is located VERY close to the bottom of the ski runs, since the whole affair is situated in a "bowl" between ridges (Unlike the other, wide-open mountain faces previously mentioned). As a result, I've seen any number of snowboarders/skiers go crashing into the training area fence (Which is made of that orange/green construction fencing material that gives way), and on the occasion that I was there for my birthday, a woman slammed into the building and had to be air-lifted out. The one advantage to skiing in a "Bowl", though, is the fact that you are somewhat more protected from the elements as opposed to if you were directly exposed on a wide-open mountain face. Massanutten's snow tubing is a blast btw! :-D

Seven Springs- While I had fun there, especially with the group that I went with, it is a VERY far drive from our area, and it felt "Weird". I cannot place my finger on it, but I didn't really like the feeling of being there for some reason. If you like it, then props to you, but I won't be going back there anytime soon (It's just my humble, but honest opinion).

Oh, and yes, I've been to Vail and Aspen before out west, but I've never actually skied either. I am looking forward to it one day, however! I can't wait to checkout Alyeska and a bunch of others too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia