Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 03:28 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,868,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgatedenizen View Post
I stroll through Centreville every day on my way to Manassas.

I find a LOT of people have negative feelings about Centreville because their only experience is being stuck in traffic while passing through (I66, 29, 28). And if that's all I saw I'd probably feel the same way...
I did live in Centreville for 15 years !

wsamon - hahaha, yes, I DO NEED Wegmans and am not sure what I would do without it. I literally did no cooking until Wegmans came around. I liked the store so I needed to have a reason to shop in it....so I had to learn to cook !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 06:44 AM

569 posts, read 1,064,077 times
@bmwguydc - Those are good areas and points as well, though the commute may be right at his 30 minute limit, and the rents are a couple hundred dollars a month more expensive. Also, keep in mind that compared to most places in the country (I don't know where in CO he's from) even Centreville, Chantilly, and Manassas have lots of options for shopping, food, and nearby things to do, and Fairfax would be just a short drive away outside of rush hour. If possible, I really think it's best that the OP visit these places and see what works best.

@vermonter16 - to each his own I honestly just don't understand what makes one grocery store so much better than any other that it's the one that you absolutely have to shop at though. Unless you're buying in-store prepared foods all the time, or you only eat organic food, any super-market will have all the ingredients you need to make everyday meals. Heck, I'm not a big fan, but even Shoppers is perfectly functional...

Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,823,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
Unless you're buying in-store prepared foods all the time, or you only eat organic food, any super-market will have all the ingredients you need to make everyday meals. Heck, I'm not a big fan, but even Shoppers is perfectly functional...
This is true. I buy mostly organic and I can get everything I need at Giant. They have organics thought the store and a whole section (4 mini aisles) of organic-type food. It's a lot cheaper than Wegmans. I think Shoppers is even less expensive.

When I was thinking of shopping, I wasn't really thinking of groceries so much as clothing, household supplies, K-mart, that sort of thing (big box stores and malls I guess). Centreville has 4 groceries stores and lots of little shops, restaurants, bars, and a Sears appliance store, etc. The movie theatre is okay--it's older and doesn't have stadium seating, but the company that bought it keeps it clean and maintains it well. By the way, technically one of the grocery stores is in Chantilly, but it's the one I shop at--you can throw a stone and hit Centreville from it.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 AM

True. But as I mentioned, big box stores are only a 15 minute drive away in the Fair Lakes shopping center (at least from where I lived). Everyone's shopping habits are different, but I don't go to them more than once, maybe twice a month, so a 15 minute drive is nothing. I suppose if I were to go to big box stores every day that would be different, but who does that?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the Nissan Pavilion (I refuse to call it Jiffy Lube Live!) is only about 20 minutes away or so to. It's a great spot to catch a lot of good concerts and music festivals!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Oh, and I forgot to mention that the Nissan Pavilion (I refuse to call it Jiffy Lube Live!) is only about 20 minutes away or so to. It's a great spot to catch a lot of good concerts and music festivals!
That is true....as long as it isn't a popular concert . I left at 4pm for a Jimmy Buffet concert and it took almost 2 hours and I live in Manassas. On a normal day it would take about 15 minutes to get there!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
That is true....as long as it isn't a popular concert . I left at 4pm for a Jimmy Buffet concert and it took almost 2 hours and I live in Manassas. On a normal day it would take about 15 minutes to get there!
I've gone to some pretty popular concerts and had no problems. Getting back was a little rougher, but getting there wasn't so bad. Jimmy Buffet may be an exception due to the demographics of NoVA. Also, what route did you take? I've rarely had 29 get backed up on me until I got in close. 66 often seems to be worse because everyone knows about it.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 AM

11 posts, read 41,823 times
About how long is the reverse commute to Chantilly from Fairfax/Fair Oaks or Arlington? My wife is trying to find a position in politics or law, so I could see being closer to Arlington, Alexandria, or DC beneficial to provide more options for her.

Again, thank you for everyone's responses.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:33 AM

110 posts, read 272,820 times
JDM, my wife and I just moved to Chantilly (about 1/2 mile east of the 28/50 interchange). We have driven around the area quite a bit. Route 50 from fairfax/fair oaks to Chantilly really isn't that bad if you don't mind traffic lights. You could probably do it in 20-25 minutes. Arlington, however, would be bad for the commute out to Chantilly. You'd have to get on 66, which backs up in both directions at both rush periods at: the interchange with 267, the beltway, nutley street, 123, rte 50, and 7100. It takes my bus (with a few 30 second stops) about 25-35 minutes to get from the parking lot of the vienna metro out to where I live in Chantilly (going 66 west to 50 west) in the evening rush. Traffic in the opposite direction isn't QUITE as bad, but I see backups at all the same interchanges on 66 in both directions when I am headed out on the orange line or on the bus.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I've gone to some pretty popular concerts and had no problems. Getting back was a little rougher, but getting there wasn't so bad. Jimmy Buffet may be an exception due to the demographics of NoVA. Also, what route did you take? I've rarely had 29 get backed up on me until I got in close. 66 often seems to be worse because everyone knows about it.
I've been to concerts with no problem as well but when the place is sold out and it is on a weeknight...combine rush hour with concert traffic and it is terrible. I know every back way in the book since I live in Manassas. I don't go near 29 or 66 anymore.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm09 View Post
About how long is the reverse commute to Chantilly from Fairfax/Fair Oaks or Arlington? My wife is trying to find a position in politics or law, so I could see being closer to Arlington, Alexandria, or DC beneficial to provide more options for her.

Again, thank you for everyone's responses.
I commute to and from Arlington every day. It really depends on the time of day that you leave. And depending on where your wife might be working in Arlington - she may find it beneficial to just go back roads and forget 66 all together. I don't find 66 horrible but I am usually leaving Arlington between 2:30pm and 3:00.... Yeah, it might get backed up some but it isn't too bad. They are doing construction on a portion of 66 which causes a back up but depending on where you are coming from that can be avoided for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia