Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,765 times

Advertisements

Hi:
I am relocating to North Rosslyn, VA area in NoVa.
I will be using the Rosslyn Metro to go to work in DC.
I have found a place on 2100 North Scott Street, Arlington, VA.
Being an architect I will be working pretty late some days.
It is a 1/2 mile walk b/w the apartment and metro.
I was planning on walking down Key boulevard.
Will it be safe to walk home at nights from the Metro Station?
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 07:02 PM

660 posts, read 1,709,077 times
I can't vouch for 21st/Scott north of 66, since I've never walked there at night (but it has always seemed fine and I have never heard of any issues there). Key Boulevard should be fine, though. I live in Rosslyn, and while it's sometimes pretty quiet at night, I've never felt unsafe or had my building warn its residents about petty crime in the area. I just got home from dinner at around 8:30 and there were plenty of women walking on the street by themselves, for example.

If you'd prefer walking on a street with more traffic, I'd recommend going up Wilson instead of Key. It would probably add 2-3 minutes to your walk home, but for some people the peace of mind would be worth it.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:30 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,477,559 times
Rosslyn is actually a pretty safe area, and I've walked it at all hours, even crossing the bridge from Georgetown and back in the middle of the night. One reason for my nighttime walks is ZipCar keeps an SUV in Rosslyn, and there have been times I needed one for something larger than any car I have could carry. Anyone I know in Rosslyn generally has no complaints; and I know people who live off Key and have never mentioned anything untoward happening.

The Custis Trail also heads to the area you're considering, on Lee Highway, beginning near the Air Force Association. It might be a more direct route, though between the hills and the zooming cyclists, might not be as pleasant a walk as the streets.

The 3A Metrobus also runs along Lee Highway, beginning at the Metro, so if you were to get off and want to take the bus, especially if you had heavy packages that you did not want to carry up the hill, or if it's raining/snowing, it's a viable option. Display Schedule - Arlington Transit

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-21-2011, 05:48 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,158 times
I'd be somewhat concerned about the trails at night unless they are lit. The streets, however, should be just fine. Are there any areas of North Arlington (i.e., north of 50) that are even remotely sketchy except maybe Buckingham (area along Glebe just north of 50)? South Arlington ranges from safe (Crystal City/Pentagon City/Shirlington) to somewhat sketchy (area along Columbia Pike near Four Mile Run Drive.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia