Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:34 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times

Advertisements

I would approach this with the attitude of getting as much information in various sources as possible. Getting a dog (and breed) should not a quick decision as your family will live with this choice for a long time to come. We adopted a dog through Hart,and at times it was a little frustrating, but we ended up with a dog that was perfect for our family.

Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 01:37 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
I bought a yorkie around Thanksgiving from Pine Haven yorkshire breeder in Fredericksburg. I researched the breeders in the area and narrowed it down to a couple, then made my choice. I didn't see my puppy until I went to pick him up. With that said, I couldn't be more pleased with my dog.

Jasper is the happiest dog I've ever had. He has a wonderful personality. He weighs about 4 lbs now at 4 months old, but he is the fastest little thing. You should have seen my son chasing him this morning ... trying to retrieve his underwear Jasper had taken! LMAO

My son loves this little dog. Yorkies are great with kids. On being hypoallergenic... I'm not sure on that since it wasn't a quality I was looking for. I do know that yorkies don't shed like other dogs. I brush him and I have yet to see a hair come out! They have hair rather than fur. I know all about shedding since one of our other dogs is a pug.

I was able to see Jasper's mother in person. His father came from the breeder's mentor who also breeds yorkies. I've also been in contact with people who own Jasper's sisters and brothers from previous litters. If you have any more questions, just send me a direct message.

Here's a pic of Jasper aka J-Man aka Doodle Bug
Attached Thumbnails
Dog breeder - poodle or yorkie-img_57892.jpg   Dog breeder - poodle or yorkie-img_5838.jpg   Dog breeder - poodle or yorkie-fancyboy11910-22.jpg  

Old 01-21-2011, 02:39 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
If you want to guarantee a dog who likes children, I'd highly, highly recommend looking for a 2-3 year old adult dog. By that point the animal's temperament is established and it will be clear if it is a child friendly dog. Most of the local rescues around here utilize foster homes, so you could find a dog who's been in a family setting and get to know its true personality.

Also, there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog. It's a marketing tactic. People are allergic to poodles and yorkies just like they're allergic to labs and shepherds. You need to go and meet the individual dogs (or their closest relatives) and make sure your allergies are okay with them if it's a big concern. Understand that "non shedding" mixes like doodles and such will still shed 90% of the time, so again if that is a big concern you need to meet the individual dog if you're adopting a mix.

The fence shouldn't be a concern. The rescues I've volunteered for in the area are very aware that a large portion of the city lives in apartments and townhomes and places without yards and adopts to them anyway. They do often frown on invisible fencing, so a better approach would be to share how you're going to make sure your dog gets plenty of exercise on leash, in the house, in a safe fenced in area, doing dog sports, etc.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:26 PM

63 posts, read 171,719 times
If you can't decide between a yorkie or a poodle, get a yorkiepoo!

Old 01-21-2011, 05:48 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
If you choose to go the breeder route, the best route is to always start with the breeder referral list of the AKC recognized parent club of that breed.

Yorkshire Terrier Club of America

Yorkshire Terrier Club of America

The Poodle Club of America

Welcome to PCA!

Old 01-21-2011, 06:10 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janie01 View Post
If you choose a mix, please please get one from a shelter/rescue. Unless you can find a breeder of mixes that does all requisite temperament and health testing (which would be a minor miracle!), provides a health guarantee and requires you sign a return clause, their poor breeding practices are just contributing to the overpopulation problem

Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
If you want to guarantee a dog who likes children, I'd highly, highly recommend looking for a 2-3 year old adult dog. By that point the animal's temperament is established and it will be clear if it is a child friendly dog. Most of the local rescues around here utilize foster homes, so you could find a dog who's been in a family setting and get to know its true personality.
I was going to say...neither poodles or yorkies are really reknowned for being good with children; but that's a great idea!

Old 01-24-2011, 01:14 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janie01 View Post
I was wondering if they would be a porkie or a yoodle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia