Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 12,535 times

Advertisements

It is 19F outside at 9:53am Saturday, the weather channel says it feels like 8F.

Grandaire 3 Ton 2h/1C heat pump (Model JT4BD-036K R410A 13 SEER with 10kw AUX heat kit (H6HK010H01 for B5 only).

Note: The white wire on the tstat running to the AUX and the wire to W2 on the air handler terminal was disconnected as this Honeywell tstat RTS2410 doesn't have a lock out feature forcing the aux heat to come on all the time t hough the 140F air coils could do the job just fine.

The heat has been running all night. When I came downstairs the tstat said the room was 69F. I wired the white wire on the tstat to the AUX terminal on the stat and wired the white wire on the air handler terminal to W2 ( I pulled the emergency relay removing power to the unit before I did that). I turned the power back on and observed the tstat. I noticed the tstat constantly called for heat and aux but after turning on the stove with a big pot of boiling water to humidify the home, TV, lamps and such the tstat never showed the room warmer than 70F. I took a 6" inch flex duct off the air handler to take a look at the heating coils to see if the coils are heating. I felt warm air coming up from below the heating coils (10KW). The coils weren't red like a heating coil so I couldn't visually see if the coils were heating up. When I reached into to quickly touch the coils, I got a shock. So, it is not grounded and it isn't producing heat though the tstat is calling for AUX heat.

I need this resolved. How can this be resolved? Don't say "call a tech" as I have already called a few different companies, including the person who installed the unit, who charge me for visits, play dumb for an hour then leave. I have to fix this on my own or live with suboptimal perhaps unsafe conditions.

Can you provide some tangible insight on how to fix this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 08:36 PM

110 posts, read 272,685 times
My opinion would be that unless you're an HVAC tech or an electrician you probably shouldn't be messing with wiring, or you will be dealing directly with the "unsafe conditions" you are worried about.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 12,535 times
Default AUX Heat Coil Charge

Is it normal for the auxillary heating coils to have charge?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:52 AM

110 posts, read 272,685 times
No idea. It's normal for anything to have a static charge. But if you are getting shocked by any kind of electric system you probably don't want to mess with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia