Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,283,949 times

Advertisements

I was curious if NOVA uses gas or electric for heating. My inlaws live in TN and they have a heat pump that provides their ac in the summer and their heat in the winter so it is all electric. When we lived in Texas we had a heat pump also, so no big gas usage. Here in NM because evaporative coolers are so widely used we have a separate furnace that uses gas. So instead of just flipping the thermostat from cool to heat here we have to have the a/c turned off and disconnected and the heater turned on. But even in the houses here that have refrigerated air, you still get your heat from gas. I guess my concern is I always hear on the news about heating costs on the east coast so was wondering if this applied to NOVA. If this makes no sense I am sorry it is late and I am tired but wanted to post while I was thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 04:11 AM

21 posts, read 73,097 times
I think it depends on the house/neigborhood. We have gas heating ourselves.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses5909 View Post
I think it depends on the house/neigborhood. We have gas heating ourselves.
Do you have huge gas bills in the winter? We really only have maybe 1 or 2 months that we really need a heater here and last winter I think the highest our bill got to was $250, don't know if that is considered high or not. I keep reading all these horror stories where people are saying it is possible for their heating bills to be upwards of $500 a month in some areas. I know alot has to do with the price of natural gas but that is alot of money.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:32 AM

206 posts, read 633,942 times
Most of Great Falls has only electrical heating because they don't have gas access. Cooking of course is with electricity too. Other parts of NoVA do have gas.

I can't see how people can stay warm without gas during the winter.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Most of Great Falls has only electrical heating because they don't have gas access. Cooking of course is with electricity too. Other parts of NoVA do have gas.

I can't see how people can stay warm without gas during the winter.
Does having electric for gas translate into large bills in the winter? I think our electric bills are outrageous here in NM. I don't have central air and my bill routinely runs about $225 a month. My mother in law says her bill in TN has never been over $150 and she has central air. I know TN has their water provided by TVA so maybe that is why her is so cheap. I do notice when I look at rentals and the give estimates for utilites, it seems low to me, but that is good.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 AM

206 posts, read 633,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Does having electric for gas translate into large bills in the winter? I think our electric bills are outrageous here in NM. I don't have central air and my bill routinely runs about $225 a month. My mother in law says her bill in TN has never been over $150 and she has central air. I know TN has their water provided by TVA so maybe that is why her is so cheap. I do notice when I look at rentals and the give estimates for utilites, it seems low to me, but that is good.
It really depends on how large your home is and how many zones you have, but the largest bill I've ever had during the winter months is maybe $300-$350 for a roughly 3800 sq. ft. house (1st & 2nd floor).

I'd rather spend money on gas heat than electric heat. With gas heat, you feel the warmth right away. With heat pumps, you just feel cold air blowing, and heat pumps don't work when the temperature drops below freezing.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
It really depends on how large your home is and how many zones you have, but the largest bill I've ever had during the winter months is maybe $300-$350 for a roughly 3800 sq. ft. house (1st & 2nd floor).

I'd rather spend money on gas heat than electric heat. With gas heat, you feel the warmth right away. With heat pumps, you just feel cold air blowing, and heat pumps don't work when the temperature drops below freezing.
Thanks, so as with anything the smaller of a space you have the cheaper it will be.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:21 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,680,965 times
I can't imagine anyone who has access to natural gas not using it for heat/hot water/cooking. It is far and away the best and cheapest (at least so far).

A lot of those mansions in Great Falls, Clifton, or anywhere without access to natural gas have a large propane tank buried or hidden somewhere to provide cooking fuel. Find me a serious cook that prefers an electric stove!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:33 AM

Why are there areas that have no access to natural gas? I think everywhere we have lived there has been access and if you lived to far out in the country you used propane.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:48 PM

282 posts, read 873,628 times
"Why are there areas that have no access to natural gas? I think everywhere we have lived there has been access and if you lived to far out in the country you used propane."

Exactly. Clifton and Great Falls still are sort of rural. A little. Those parts of the County also have larger lots, so there are/were fewer opportunities for the initial cost of bringing in natural gas to be spread among a 100-lot subdivision. Many of the newer houses use propane for heating. I'd say, generally, the preference runs: #1 Natural Gas; #2 Propane; #3 Heat Pump; #4 everything else (ground source, oil, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia