Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM

7 posts, read 25,352 times

Advertisements

We just moved here from the west coast and are having a difficult time deciding on preschools. We're trying to find a good preschool for my son who just turned 4 years old this month. We are not particular if it's part of a church. We just want to find something that will give him a good education but where he will be happy learning and having fun. Also, if it also offers a good Kindergarten program that will prepare him for 1st grade. So far, we like Accotink Academy and Prince of Peace and have considered St. Bernadette. If anyone can give me their opinion re: these schools (good or bad) or suggest any other schools in the Springfield, Burke, Kingstowne are that would be great. Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 05:31 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,361,570 times
I don't know if it is too far out of the way for you or not, but The Springs Montessori is on Backlick Rd. just south of Edsall. You could check it out.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,598,969 times
We go to Spring Mar in Burke and we love it. I have also heard very good things about the preschool at the Jewish Community Center in Annandale. I also know someone who goes to St. Mary's of Sorrows Catholic Church preschool in Fairfax and likes it very much.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,113,802 times
I highly recommend Burke Presbyterian Preschool. They have a holistic approach to child development: academic, physical, social/emotional and spiritual. The director and teachers have been there for many years. The environment is very nurturing and caring. They don't offer K, but their pre-k program is 5 mornings per week and the curriculum is what most kids learn in K.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:21 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,696,387 times
My friends whose children have gone to the three schools listed by the OP have liked all of them. I really liked this preschool too when my children went there:

Welcome to CWP

(Funny -- when I googled to find the website, the first thing that popped up was a bunch of threads from here at C-D.com!)

Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 18,249 times
I have my 4 year old at Kiddie Country in Burke. It also has a kindergarten program, which is supposed to be quite good. We love the preschool program at KC, and it is super-convenient if you have two working parents because the school has before/after care and only closes on federal holidays.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 PM

Thanks for everyone's input!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:24 AM

247 posts, read 1,143,004 times
We just enrolled our DS at Prince of Peace. We're new to the area, and it was recommended by a good friend of mine (she went there herself 30 years ago). We went to the community open house last Friday, and decided to enroll. It was a nice school, and the teachers seemed so warm and caring. We got the 2nd to last spot in the 2 day a week class, as the class we originally wanted already had a wait list before community registration even began. Preschool is a reallly big deal around here! It was shocking to see just how fast spots get filled up. So not to rush you, but if find a program that you like with an opening, take it now, or you'll lose out. At Prince of Peace (and most others I assume) alumni and church members get priority registration. So if you know you want a particular school for it's kindergarten, getting into the preschool now will definetly help you.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,525,785 times
My kids went to Accotink and it is very good - St. Stephens preschool on Braddock Rd. in Burke is good - all the good preschools are filled up by now but someone might be able to squeeze you in

Old 01-26-2011, 01:52 PM

Wow! I can't believe how fast spots fill.. I'm glad I didn't move here late spring or summer because it seems like there won't be any space anywhere. We also went to the Prince of Peace open house and love how inviting the place was. However, we also have friend who also attended Accotink 30 yrs ago and now have sent their children. I love the philosophy and program of accotink academy. I just can't decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia