Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:00 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

In the time it takes for a chunk of snow or ice to fly off a car's roof, travel through the air and land, a following car has already covered the distance even if following at a safe distance. I've seen chunks blow off tractor trailers and fly many yards through the air before hitting the road.

Additionally, the blown-off snow can create a momentary white-out condition. It's not safe, and there's no excuse other than laziness or obliviousness not to clear off our passenger vehicles.
Not to mention if you are on a multi lane road and are in the next lane, it can fly on to you. I had this happen to me once on 95 where it is 5 lanes, an SUV the right lane had a big sheet of ice fly off it and it hit my car (in the middle lane). The wind got under it or something. No damage done, but I cringed (I had cars on either side of me and had nowhere to go.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perries View Post
How about you quit tailgating people, eh?
Are you from Ottawa?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
FCPS is very concerned about this. Last year, after the big snows they asked for volunteers to help get the snow off bus roofs. What PITA that is!

School buses are about 12 feet high so they rented a few VersaLifts. They had these long poles with boards on the end of them to push the snow off the roof. Drivers would pull a bus up and a volunteer (me) would push the snow off and then the next bus would pull up, repeat. Every few buses, a guy from the dump with a front end loader had to clear the roof snow out of the way.

I did about 50 buses until I thought my arms were going to fall off! I'm getting too old for that crap....there was only 1150 buses to go....but I went home....LOL

Old 01-27-2011, 01:48 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
FCPS is very concerned about this. Last year, after the big snows they asked for volunteers to help get the snow off bus roofs. What PITA that is!

School buses are about 12 feet high so they rented a few VersaLifts. They had these long poles with boards on the end of them to push the snow off the roof. Drivers would pull a bus up and a volunteer (me) would push the snow off and then the next bus would pull up, repeat. Every few buses, a guy from the dump with a front end loader had to clear the roof snow out of the way.

I did about 50 buses until I thought my arms were going to fall off! I'm getting too old for that crap....there was only 1150 buses to go....but I went home....LOL
My point exactly! See "FCPS closed tomorrow 1/28".

Old 01-27-2011, 04:49 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
I live in Fairfax County. Why isn't the government doing this for me?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:19 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Boscola championed Pennsylvania’s law on snow and ice removal from vehicles following the Christmas 2005 death of Christine Lambert, 51, of Palmer Township. Lambert was driving behind a tractor-trailer on Route 209 near Jim Thorpe, Pa., when snow and ice dislodged and flew through her windshield, killing her instantly.
Lisa Boscola reintroduces law requiring 'reasonable' efforts to remove snow, ice from vehicles | lehighvalleylive.com

Old 01-27-2011, 07:26 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I live in Fairfax County. Why isn't the government doing this for me?
LMAO! Best response ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia