Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 6,609 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to an apartment names EOS 21, in Alexandria, VA. I heard so many mixed reviews, that I am downright confused as anything. I visited the apartment complex. They look sooo nice. The club room, the movie theatre, the gym, the deli, everything. Even the apartments inside are remodeled and nice.

My only concern is the security. I heard there have been murders, rapes and robbery? But some people say it's an exaggeration? Can someone please please help me decide? The only reason why I am choosing this apartment is because it is within our budget, and there is a shuttle that goes to a metro. I work in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 AM

214 posts, read 499,464 times
I've also heard a lot of negative things about that complex and immediate area. Areas in west alexandria differ neighborhood to neighborhood. Go to crimereports.com and look up the area around that complex. I think you can search back throughout the past year and see what crimes were reported.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Police Crime Report Search | City of Alexandria, VA

Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabihaqc View Post
My only concern is the security. I heard there have been murders, rapes and robbery? But some people say it's an exaggeration? Can someone please please help me decide? The only reason why I am choosing this apartment is because it is within our budget, and there is a shuttle that goes to a metro. I work in DC.
I have heard bad things about management and parking in EOS but not bad things about safety. It is rare to see violent crime in that area. Most of the crime is in the form of car break-ins and the like. Obviously you should be aware of your surroundings like in any urban area, but overall, this is one of the safer, affordable complexes in the area.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:40 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabihaqc View Post
I am planning to move to an apartment names EOS 21, in Alexandria, VA. I heard so many mixed reviews, that I am downright confused as anything. I visited the apartment complex. They look sooo nice. The club room, the movie theatre, the gym, the deli, everything. Even the apartments inside are remodeled and nice.

Yes, murders, rape, and robberies have happened in West Alexandria. However, they are very few and far between. I lived there for 6 years, it's not Mayberry but it's not like you'll get shot up walking home from work. Most victims of any rape and murder in West Alexandria and Landmark know each other and have a long-standing thing going. My issue with West Alexandria was the traffic and my building (Sentinel at Landmark) more than the crime.

Like pcity said the biggest worry you'll have is car-break ins.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 PM

384 posts, read 1,028,880 times
Is West End Alexandria safe? Kind of. There have been some terrible crimes committed in the area over the last few years. It isn't a daily occurrence but bad, terrible things do happen in this area. On a day to day basis, I would be more concerned with property crime in that area. For example, I wouldn't leave a GPS or anything of value in sight in my car. I would also be careful shopping in that area at night. I had two incidents with really aggressive panhandlers: one at a gas station at Edsall and Van Dorn and at the BJs Wholesale Club.

The neighborhoods in West End Alexandria vary alot. And I am personally not a big fan of the Van Dorn section based on my experience. I don't live at EOS so I can't advise you on that particular area. I personally think the neighborhoods around Alexandria Inova are better. Check out the crime stats.

Also, good luck with everything and finding your home!

Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
I grew up in what is now Brent's Place it was ok then. Lots of hard working immigrants too busy to get caught up in mischief. My understanding is that now many of the apartments have been turned over to Section 8 people. So just be wary you might run into some misbehaving kids or worse. Keep your car secure and you should be fine. There is nowhere in No Va that I can think of that truly has a serious crime or murder problem like SE DC or PG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia