Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:02 PM

13,777 posts, read 15,853,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
No.

Because Houston is the "energy" capital of the world not the Oil & Gas capital. Energy accounts for 28% of Houston's economy, of the sectors Green Energy (meaning non- Oil & Gas) account for 62% of the "Energy" sector. Meaning less dependent on Oil & Gas.

By contrast, in 1986, Houston's economy was made of 85% Oil & Gas alone with little to nothing else besides that. Every year since then, energy has played a far smaller role in its economy. Therefor a hypothetical situation where Oil & Gas is either scarce or not needed anymore, Houston will survive, yes see some losses, but nothing far overwhelming.

Houston in general is the 4th largest purchaser of Green Energy in the country, as a city, it only trails the states of California, Massachusetts, & New York. And that's just as a city, trailing whole states.

Yeah they do. Which is why they have been implementing an energy sector based off Green Energy and not Oil & Gas anymore. For example, the city will be the most to add "power up electrical stations" for Hybrid Cars, even beating Environmentally Safe capital of San Francisco on that.

Houston, all their newest buildings are lead certified. And Houston is building the worlds largest concentration of "wind farm" in its metropolitan area (on Pelican Island) to harness Wind Energy.

Houston's economy is shifting more towards tech, Medical services (accounts for Houston's largest employer), aeronautics, & seaport activity. All in all, Houston will be fine now.
I agree with all that, but the poster I was responding to "westhou" said we won't be using cars so they won't need parking lots. That means no cars no matter what they are fueled with. I know about Houston's economy and position in the energy world. That other poster is the one who said we wouldn't use cars. I assume we would use mass transit, walk, bike, etc. instead of use cars which would rule energy out completely according to him/her. What is he/she talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 04:03 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,197,675 times
Quote:

Yeah they do. Which is why they have been implementing an energy sector based off Green Energy and not Oil & Gas anymore. For example, the city will be the most to add "power up electrical stations" for Hybrid Cars, even beating Environmentally Safe capital of San Francisco on that.
Do you have a link for that? I thought that LA already did this a long time ago?

Old 01-30-2011, 04:05 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,110,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I agree with all that, but the poster I was responding to said we won't be using cars so they won't need parking lots. That means no cars no matter what they are fueled with. I know about Houston's economy and position in the energy world. That other poster is the one who said we wouldn't use cars. I assume we would use mass transit, walk, bike, etc. instead of use cars which would rule energy out completely according to him. What is he/she talking about?
No idea what he meant at all. Cars are and will forever be apart of our future, be it electrical or be it gas driven, and in both instances, Houston's energy exports will bank off both.

Yeah there is no chance on that at all. I know every big city has their train expansion plans and everything but that is not nearly enough to save America from its Auto-Dependency.

America is the most Auto-Dependent nation in the world, at 86% auto-dependent, it will take nothing less of 5 decades to rid this country of car usage, or to at least get it down to the teens in percentile.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
No idea what he meant at all. Cars are and will forever be apart of our future, be it electrical or be it gas driven, and in both instances, Houston's energy exports will bank off both.

Yeah there is no chance on that at all. I know every big city has their train expansion plans and everything but that is not nearly enough to save America from its Auto-Dependency.

America is the most Auto-Dependent nation in the world, at 86% auto-dependent, it will take nothing less of 5 decades to rid this country of car usage, or to at least get it down to the teens in percentile.
I agree! And make that 100 years to stop using cars in America. As of now, no metro area outside of NYC, D.C., Chi, Bos, and Philly give you an option to live without a car.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Houston, all their newest buildings are lead certified. And Houston is building the worlds largest concentration of "wind farm" in its metropolitan area (on Pelican Island) to harness Wind Energy.
It's actually LEED (all caps) certified not "lead" certified (not trying to be pompous but just helping you out ), but yeah that's actually a REALLY big deal. It's VERY difficult to get a LEED certification a project, so the fact that all of Houston's newest projects are LEED certified is quite impressive.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
It's actually LEED (all caps) certified not "lead" certified (not trying to be pompous but just helping you out ), but yeah that's actually a REALLY big deal. It's VERY difficult to get a LEED certification a project, so the fact that all of Houston's newest projects are LEED certified is quite impressive.
This is how the list goes for Energy Efficiency and sustainability employment in 2009........

1. New York: 25,021
2. Greater Washington: 24,287
3. Houston: 21,250

Greater Washington tops U.S., worldwide lists in business, employment | Washington Business Journal

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-30-2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
This is how the list goes for Energy Efficiency and sustainability employment in 2009........

New York: 25,021
Greater Washington: 24,287
Houston: 21,250

Greater Washington tops U.S., worldwide lists in business, employment | Washington Business Journal
That doesn't surprise me that DC is so far up the list.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:32 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,110,420 times
Quote:
Do you have a link for that? I thought that LA already did this a long time ago?
Yes.

Here is one: Will Houston Become an Electric-Car Capital? - Environmental Capital - WSJ

Here is a better one: Houston to deploy electric car charging network | Grist

They're on the right track. Haha.
Quote:
I agree! And make that 100 years to stop using cars in America. As of now, no metro area outside of NYC, D.C., Chi, Bos, and Philly give you an option to live without a car.
City-Data's big Pro-Trains & Anti-Cars people will be so disappointed with this. But hey, its America, the people want trains, they're getting them, but they want cars, so we're keeping them!
Quote:
Haha I know, even I have my "dumb" days. I did mean to say LEED certification. We've got the first one in Texas, and we're on track to being a major Green Energy city with it.

An excerpt:
Quote:
The City of Houston has been designated the number one municipal purchaser of green power and the fourth largest overall purchaser in the nation, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The EPA this week released its list of top 50 green power partners using the most renewable electricity and named the City of Houston as a crucial leader in the alternative energy trend.
“Houston is already known as the energy capital of the world, but we are committed to becoming the alternative energy capital of the world as well,” said Mayor Annise Parker. “This ranking confirms we are taking the right steps in the right direction, and it’s going to benefit everyone.”

Continue reading on Examiner.com: EPA Names City of Houston Largest Municipal Purchaser of Renewable Energy in the U.S. - Houston green economy | Examiner.com EPA Names City of Houston Largest Municipal Purchaser of Renewable Energy in the U.S. - Houston green economy | Examiner.com
Ah yes! The hippies will probably have tears in their eyes when they realize how far the country is going to invest in Green Energy. It's like their dreams come true.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:57 PM

LOL it happens to the best of us Danny! I know I've had my fair share of "dumb" days. But yeah at this point in time, Houston wont loose a step its place in the energy world even with transition into greener and more renewable energy.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,517,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yeah right, not larger than Boise
You all are both wrong. Cheyenne, Wyoming will have the biggest downtown, and they will have the best public transit system outside of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia