Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,950,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Have you bee in the area lately?
Not in a year. I just recently though of it because I heard about the Silver Line being delayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 02:44 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,357,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Where the hell is Settle?
It's a small market town in North Yorkshire, England. I guess they have a pretty big downtown.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:01 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,332,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I live in Tysons, work in MD, so every evening I get to admire the Tysons skyline as I approach. It's quite impressive. Considering how many development projects are in the pipeline but haven't broken ground yet, I can't even imagine what it'll look like in 10 years.
Neat thread, amazed I've never seen it before.

List of current projects for those interesting

Tysons West Ph 1 - mid-rise retail only - complete
Ascent - high rise residential - complete and leasing
Ovation - high rise residential - complete and leasing
Tysons Overlook - mid/high (depending on if you think 11-stories is highrise) office topped out nearly complete
Tysons Tower - high rise office/retail - topped out and occupancy this summer
Vita Tower - high rise residential - 20 out of 30 floors built
Hyatt Hotel - high rise hotel - 8 out of 24 stories built
1775 Lerner - high rise office - foundations under construction
Hanover Arbor Row - high rise residential - foundations nearly complete for vertical construction
Garfield Parcel Scotts Run Station - Demolition of existing building occurring
Capital One Headquarters Expansion - true highrise (over 400') office - Road work being done, building construction pending plan modifications
Mitre Building 4 - mid rise office - foundations complete preparing for vertical construction

I think thats all of them right now (makes up around 3 million square feet if I recall correctly)

Old 03-10-2014, 07:47 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,329,497 times
The company I work for owns an older hotel near the eventual metro stop by the car dealerships, off route 7. We're still working through zoning approvals which take forever, but eventually that will be demolished and some kind of mixed use project will go up. The land is too valuable to have an old exterior corridor hotel sitting on it. I suspect there are many projects like ours in the pipeline that are still far off from even breaking ground but will at some point. The area is going through quite a transformation.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
The company I work for owns an older hotel near the eventual metro stop by the car dealerships, off route 7. We're still working through zoning approvals which take forever, but eventually that will be demolished and some kind of mixed use project will go up. The land is too valuable to have an old exterior corridor hotel sitting on it. I suspect there are many projects like ours in the pipeline that are still far off from even breaking ground but will at some point. The area is going through quite a transformation.
You work for Dittmar/Best Western? You guys are up if I recall in April for approval (tentative date)

Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 AM

529 posts, read 754,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Neat thread, amazed I've never seen it before.

List of current projects for those interesting

Tysons West Ph 1 - mid-rise retail only - complete
Ascent - high rise residential - complete and leasing
Ovation - high rise residential - complete and leasing
Tysons Overlook - mid/high (depending on if you think 11-stories is highrise) office topped out nearly complete
Tysons Tower - high rise office/retail - topped out and occupancy this summer
Vita Tower - high rise residential - 20 out of 30 floors built
Hyatt Hotel - high rise hotel - 8 out of 24 stories built
1775 Lerner - high rise office - foundations under construction
Hanover Arbor Row - high rise residential - foundations nearly complete for vertical construction
Garfield Parcel Scotts Run Station - Demolition of existing building occurring
Capital One Headquarters Expansion - true highrise (over 400') office - Road work being done, building construction pending plan modifications
Mitre Building 4 - mid rise office - foundations complete preparing for vertical construction

I think thats all of them right now (makes up around 3 million square feet if I recall correctly)
Wow... That's very impressive.

Probably in the next few years once these are all built, Tysons will have a complete make over and will look like a big downtown.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
Wow... That's very impressive.

Probably in the next few years once these are all built, Tysons will have a complete make over and will look like a big downtown.
It will be atleast a decade before clusters of the town are as comfortable as parts of Arlington, and even then it will still be disconnected similar to how Rosslyn is disconnected from Courthouse

Old 03-10-2014, 04:32 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,806,324 times
Once METRO comes in they promise no more traffic jams in the Greater Tyson area. LOL!

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 03-10-2014 at 04:46 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Once METRO comes in they promise no more traffic jams in the Greater Tyson area. LOL!
Correction, once the road grid is complete they largely expect congestion to remain in the areas outside of Tysons (which it actually already is if you were actually a resident of Tysons and drove it daily outside of Route 7 and 123).

Currently, I get home in 5 minutes because I dont have to use Route 7 west bound. Seems to me that is the problem, not Tysons. Just my opinion though, what do I know.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,427,101 times
Route 7 is a mess so hopefully Silver line will alleviate it. I have heard the all the car dealerships (or most) will relocate. Is th is true? Hopefully so since a walkable "urban-like" area shouldnt have places to sell y ou cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia