Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:52 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,952,531 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what advice you're really looking for...you seem to have your mind made up. That's fine--everyone has a different risk/comfort level, I'm just not sure what you hope to get from people here.

You may be able to find a private land lord willing to work with your cash situation easier than a large property management firm. I know when I rented through an apartment complex, they were very strict about minimum income requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 03:59 PM

10 posts, read 43,850 times
Thanks,
I was just looking for similiar situations from anybody here. Hoping to hear their stories about moving to NOVA, how they started out, rented their first place, things like that.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renebo View Post
Thanks,
I was just looking for similiar situations from anybody here. Hoping to hear their stories about moving to NOVA, how they started out, rented their first place, things like that.
I think this area generally appeals to risk-averse, conservative (financially/job speaking) people. People who choose to work for the government or on government contracts are often choosing job security and benefits over the prospect of extreme wealth. I think you would find a lot more "go where the wind takes me" type people in other cities.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:52 PM

306 posts, read 436,886 times
I moved here without a job and have done it two other times to different cities. It has always worked out. I may do it again soon.

Finding a job from 2000 miles away can be difficult. I say if you really want to move somewhere else and you have the resources, just do it (insert Nike logo). I am not sure my advice would be to move to the DC/NOVA area but that is a different discussion.

CaliTerp07 is right, this is not the land of risk takers and people who are accustomed to flying by the seat of their pants. To that type of personality you probably seem like an astronaut.

Right now there are over 218,000 jobs listed on indeed.com within 50 miles of DC. Slice and dice that anyway you want but there are jobs here and although it is not like it was 3 years ago, it is still better than a vast majority of the country. Before anyone gets fired up about indeed.com, I am only using it as a general point of reference, not common law.

Many apartment complexes will rent to you if you have cash reserves equal to 3x the amount of your monthly rent x the number of months you will be leasing for. A 6 month lease at $1500 per would require you to have 27k in the bank.

I would not put too much value on advice given by anonymous strangers (you can include me in that group as well) on city data for making important, life altering decisions.

Good luck.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:08 PM

10 posts, read 43,850 times
Thanks, movedoften, for your story. It sounds similiar to our life. My biggest concern of the moment is getting a place to live. If I can find places that only require cash reserves that will not be problem. Jobs have always worked out for us.

We are very excited about all the things to see in VA, DC and Maryland.

Does anyone know if most townhomes require a 1 year lease? That is our prefered place to live, so that is why we are looking at Centreville area.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:32 PM

It's up to the individual landlord, since those are almost always rented by the owner. Generally, if you want less than a year long lease, you'll have to pay a sizable difference in the monthly rent, but again--up to the landlord.

Check out craigslist's "short term" section, or email potential landlords about your situation.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 AM

93 posts, read 273,848 times
Default Job Market Good, Tarffic is Ridiculous

I made a similar move, though I was in a completely different family situation. For the record, I moved because of my job and needed good schools for my child.

A previous poster suggested the lower cost of living areas or Winchester / Warrenton et al. They were right on target with that. It may not be what you are looking for as most of what the area has to offer is in and around DC. Thos areas are at least 90 minutes away, specifically because of traffic. Which brings me to the most important point I can make... TRAFFIC.

Do not underestimate the affect TRAFFIC can have on your quality of life. I have lived the NY/NJ and PHX. They do not compare. You seem smart enough to comprehend so try this 6 million people in the DC/MD/VA Metro area. About 1/2 trying to get either into DC or somewhere within the beltway and not one of the roads has more than 3 lanes open at any time during the rush hour. Figure it out. As far as jobs, the Base re-alignment and Closure (BRAC) seems to like Ft. Belvoir, lots of jobs seem to be headed there. You could live close to DC and easily commute to Belvoir. In fact, ask one of the other posters, but Old Town Alexandria is about as good as it gets for Singles of any age.

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 AM

53 posts, read 126,281 times
Totally off base here, but I used to live in AZ and I'd give the world to move back!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 AM

265 posts, read 953,463 times
There are real estate agents that handle rentals in the area. Most rental leases in our mls are 1 year or longer although you may find a few that will do a 6 month.

See if you can line up some interviews in the area and fly out here. Also make sure that you can handle the traffic situation which has surpassed the LA area as worst traffic in the country.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 AM

4,441 posts, read 8,141,278 times
My parents did it back in 1989. We moved from Guam and came to VA without any jobs lined up. We did have help from my Uncle who was already in the state. Within 6 months both my parents were working and we had purchased a townhouse. It's do able, but just be aware that with the economy the way it is there is going to be a lot of competition for jobs.

My sister-in-law just did it a few years ago. She got divorced and moved from Washington state with two kids. She has been working at a temp agency and has had steady work, although it's part time work. Housing was easy as she's living with Mom.

Finding a job shouldn't be hard, but finding the right job for you might be a little tougher. I really like this area because of the job market so that helps. Back in 2007 I quit my job without another job lined up. I was able to find a great job in 2 weeks and started 2 weeks later. I'm in the IT industry so this area has a very steady job market.

Fortune favors the bold, but be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia