Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:37 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,961,020 times

Advertisements

You're welcome, and welcome to northern Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:42 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,554,436 times
I'd look at Reston near the town center. I hope you find something in your price range though. Frankly, given how you describe yourself (no suburbs, no kids, commute to work via bike), I think you'd be happier in East Falls Church or the Ballston/Clarendon area of Arlington. I would also consider NW DC. Your rental price point is low, however.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:17 AM

10 posts, read 31,456 times
Thanks again, we've now definitely added Arlington to the itinerary. It will be great for my wife, not so sure about the traffic (doesn't look that bad during rush hours on routes.tomtom.com).

Just two more questions that I hope you've time to answer:

1. Is there any specific living consideration related to Dulles Airport? E.g., are there certain directions that will be extremely busy/noisy during the nights, etc.? Do people generally consider the airport as a burden? I live relatively close to an airport, but it has just one runway and no flights between 11pm and 6am so it's not so bad for sleeping etc.

2. Are there any no-go areas/neighbourhoods/blocks/streets in the area that I am considering (i.e., east of Sterling/Dulles and west of Washington D.C. center)? We're used to petty theft etc., I am more thinking about areas where my wife would be (or feel, perception matters) unsafe when moving around alone (especially when it's dark). Is the metro/public transportation generally considered safe? For comparison, we felt safe in the New York metro at night. Would it be considered safe or stupid for a woman to cycle alone between Arlington and downtown etc.?

(Ok, that was not really one question; if you can point me to website with crime statistics, that would be great as well.)

Many thanks again,

Paul

Old 02-15-2011, 11:26 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,800,895 times
If you felt safe on the NYC subway at night, I think you'd feel safe pretty much anywhere in Northern Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia