Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 PM

4 posts, read 14,791 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've tried to gather as much info I could from previous threads, but there's almost too much out there to process. Long story short, moving this summer from Northern NJ to Northern VA for a job at George Mason University.

29 year old single male - would prefer to not live with roommates.

Where are you coming from? Jersey City, NJ
Why are you moving? Job
Where will you be working ? Fairfax (GMU)

Will you buy or rent? Rent for the time being.
What is your budget ?$ prefer under 1300, but can go to 1500
What kind of place are you looking for ? Condo, Apt, Townhome with 1 or more bedrooms.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Nope - single
Do you need/want good public schools? n/a

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc.): young, diverse, I'm attracted to old housing stock with character. Greatly prefer that to brand new building with amenities. I just need a place to sleep and eat.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc): (somewhat) walkable, public transportation, ethnic food

Am thinking Falls Church as I don't like the yuppie areas of Arlington very much (Ballston, Clarendon, etc.). I keep coming across Coralain Gardens listings on craigslist. Anyone have any info on this complex? Is Alexandria even feasible? Is living in DC on the red line (in Mt. Pleasant, say) completely crazy re: commute times? I'll have a car, but don't want to use it unless I absolutely have to.

Basically, I'm pretty clueless and not optimistic of finding the "perfect" place in the NoVA suburban sprawl (I'm definitely a city guy).

Thanks to anyone for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,954,592 times
Alexandria wouldn't be horrible. It'd be a straight shot down 236 to Fairfax if you drove, or there are buses that run to campus. There are a lot of lights, but it would be fairly predictable (as opposed to the beltway). Old Town Alexandria will also give you walkability and public transportation, as well as a ton of restaurants. I'm not sure about the cost of a 1 br in the walkable areas though. $1300 may be low.

Northern Virginia doesn't really have "character". It has suburban sprawl. 1950's tract homes, 1970's garden style apartments, and the walkability and traffic planning of a pile of dirt, lol. If you're looking for charming or character, it's going to be tough to find it outside of tiny pockets (like the few blocks of downtown Fairfax or Old Town Alexandria).

I would nix living in DC unless there's something there you really want to be involved in. The commute isn't worth it imo, and $1300 won't get you much at all in the city.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,113,806 times
Why not live right next to GMU? Fairfax City is pretty cool, and the campus has a lot of events.

Here are some photo tours that might help:

Fairfax City

Falls Church

George Mason University

Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 AM

Thanks CaliTerp!

The idea of taking the bus from Alexandria to Fairfax is a revelation. I honestly hadn't considered that option. I'm so used to taking trains, that I always forget that buses can be convenient as well.

I've come across Foxchase as a cheap apartment complex that could work at least until I get more familiar with the whole area. Anyone have opinions about this area? I can sacrifice character and charm for convenience for a year or two. Now that I've talked myself into convenience, does anyone know any decent apartment complexes in Fairfax itself? Fairfax Square?

Thanks again.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 AM

Caladium,

I'm starting to consider it. How common is it for people to rent rooms/basements in private residences in Fairfax City itself? I would guess that would be cheaper than living at a complex like, say, Fairfax Square. Thanks for the photos!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:36 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,238,152 times
When you say you prefer old-stock housing, do you mean you prefer to live in a structure like that, or live in a place that has old-stock housing? Old-stock apartment buildings in NOVA don't have much character, unlike in DC. They tend to be brick garden apartments (3 story buildings). If you meant you like a town environment of older homes (which sounds more likely), then Falls Church has that in spots, and Fairfax not really much at all (unless post-1950s suits you).

Foxchase in Alexandria is an older complex, with (I've read) quite small units. There is convenience in that area in terms of shopping, some dining, and the city's main library, but it's in an area of post-war subdivisions and bland high-rise apartments (and on a very busy road). The ambience of older homes is found more in Rosemont and Del Ray for early-20th century, and Old Town for colonial-era. It would be easy to get from Foxchase to Old Town for entertainment. And the 29K/N bus goes from Old Town Alexandria to the GMU campus, including by Foxchase (about an hour from Foxchase to GMU).

http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/va/29kn.pdf?n

Falls Church is a nice town (in the actual city limits - there are parts called Falls Church in Fairfax County), but depending on where you find to live, it may or may not be convenient to bus or Metrorail. The 2 rail stations are at opposite ends of town, on the periphery.

On the other hand, you can't beat the convenience of living in Fairfax and working at GMU. Fairfax is dinky, but it may be enough for you, and certainly could be a good option to start with. Start close to work, explore, move elsewhere later when you've gotten your bearings and find the area for you. Because of the college student population, there are people in the area who rent out rooms.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:18 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,591,176 times
Why not just look for something right near GMU? There are a lot of condos and townhouses around t here, and you should be able to find something right in Fairfax.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:31 PM

361 posts, read 738,239 times
I used to live in Ardmore, which is nearly walking distance from GMU.
These are older duplexes.
They have plenty of character, built in 1955, and the neighborhood is very diverse.
My son bought the old house...still lives there.
We lived there a long time.
http://www.drodio.com/virginia-real-...-fc6915521.php
For very upscale, look elsewhere, plenty of those!
This neighborhood has several rentals.
I very much liked living there. Probably would not have moved, except my son talked me into it!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the Ardmore rec! Some really reasonable prices there.

Also found out about Masonvale, rigght on the GMU campus. Seems like a subsidized apartment complex for GMU faculty, employees, and grad students. Any Mason employees on this forum? Any live there or know someone who does?

Old 02-20-2011, 12:52 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,786,060 times
There are a few apartments on Old Keene Mill Road, just W. of Rolling. 22152. I would advise against Foxchase (it would be ok for 395 commuters, though). Apartment rent is high in NoVa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia