Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,092 times

Advertisements

we're moving from El Paso, Texas. My dh's job is in DC (Yes, we know the commute will be hellish - we dealt w/ a 2 hour commute in Miami, so we're fine w/ it).

I've noticed an awful lot of folks here don't like LOW. Is there a reason? Is it just this one HOA or are all of them in the area pretty bad? The house prices make it so this is basically the only area we can afford, and the houses I've seen there for sale are amazing.

Thanks in advance for any comments, input and/or opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:28 AM

566 posts, read 2,984,638 times
Overall, I think it's a nice community. I actually spent most of the day Saturday driving around there. There are some pretty interesting houses...a few looked as though they were in a bad 70's movie. You might also look at Lignum, Brandy Station, Rixeyville, Amissville and Boston. Those towns have similarly priced homes.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:52 AM

743 posts, read 3,900,028 times
Even driving from Caroline would be just as far, if not a faster drive towards DC. Check out Lake Caroline, it's like lake of the woods, but a little smaller, with even less expencive homes. Or if you can do without the lake, check out my thread about Ladysmith Village in the Richmond Section. Ladysmith Village is a planned community with wonderfull houses for sale, and is only 20 minutes to the intersection of Rt. 3 and I-95 (where-as from LOW it would take longer than that, especially in the evening)

I have posted why I don't like LOW... no need to repeat.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:50 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,092 times
very cool, thank you for the places to look up. will definitely do so.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:24 PM

10 posts, read 56,342 times
I have a house in LOW and my feelings re LOW (I like it) are contained in prior posts as well. I did want to add that I spent part of this past weekend looking around with a friend considering buying a home there and it is clearly a strong buyer's market. If you are at all intersted in a fixer you could get directly on the main lake (500 acre lake v. smaller 35 acre lake) for a relative bargain.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:50 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,394 times
Hi there Kelly! I like Lake of the Woods and I have also made some posts in regards to the development. My main concerns though have more to do with infrastructure, and perhaps Buddy can shed some light on this as an owner. I am concerned that the state will be making the Association replace the dam, due to upgraded state requirements. It is my understanding the Association is appealing the decision, but if denied, that is going to be a costly assessment to the owners. I also have concerns with the septic system. Buddy, am I correct that LOW has their own shared septic? And how soon is it predicted to be replaced?

Old 07-31-2007, 11:16 AM

10 posts, read 56,342 times
Good questions regarding the dam and the sewer system.

With respect to the dam, you are right that the state has ordered LOW to make its dam compliant with regulations put in place after the dam was built. LOW has appealed and has made some progress on compromise solutions. My guess (and it's really just that) is that something less than the complete overhaul will be required. But assuming worst case, the cost estimates for full overhaul are in the $4 million range. As a one time assesment that would be about $1000 for each of the approx. 4000 lots in LOW. More likley, it would be financed and passed on to owners more gradually. From my selfish perspective as a lake front owner the bigger problem is the possibility that the full overhaul might require lowering the lake a few feet for a season or more. Again though, my guess is a compromise solution reached at some poit prior to next summer.

There were (are?) problems with the sewer that casued some sewer back-ups in to people's yards (I know - yuck). I've never experienced but can't be good. I haven't heard of any back-ups since I've had my house (late 2003) but there could have been some I don't know about. Issue is that most sewers work by gravity and sewage just makes it way where it needs to go. LOW has a vacuum system which collects sewage in holding tanks and then pumps it where it needs to go. If that pumping fails, you have problems. The water and sewer company has been ordered by the state (I think I have that right) to undertake a study and corrective plan. We were just notified a test area of LOW is going to get a new system in next several months so hopefully, that won't be an issue for too long.

For info on all of this, you can go to Lake of the Woods and click on "Lake Currents" under "News and Activities." This is an archive of the little LOW newspaper and contains all sorts of articles about these issues.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:39 PM

21 posts, read 85,316 times
EricD Where can I find Why you don't like LOW? I would be interested in what you have to say?

Old 08-25-2007, 05:37 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy camper View Post
EricD Where can I find Why you don't like LOW? I would be interested in what you have to say?
Click on his name at the top of his post above, then click Find All Posts by EricD....

Old 08-25-2007, 06:19 AM

743 posts, read 3,900,028 times
If you do an advanced search, you can look for a key word of 'LOW' and then put my user name in there, and search the northern VA sub-forum. Should narrow it down to like 4 threads. I actually origionally registered for this forum only to post and tell someone not to bother with looking for a house in LOW... I saw the thread when looking at the sity-data website. Here is a basic list of the downsides I saw in LOW:

1. Over-Priced
2. Far from I-95
3. Not much commercial in the area (but that's gotten a little better recently)
4. Sewer issues
5. Dam issues
6. Kids have to go to Orange High School accross the county.
7. No activity center for the kids
8. Crazy HoA (You aren't even allowed to build a fence)
9. High dues that get you nothing (you have to pay extra to launch your boat, swim in the pools, go golfing on the golf course...)
10. It's mostly old homes from the '70's or new homes that are too big for the lot they are on.

I can explain any of those further if needed. :P My father first moved to LOW in the late 70's, I was in the ski club, grew up going to the main pool... When I looked for my first home, LOW was definately on my list, but there are so many problems there, and it's just so far from I-95, I couldn't see buying a house there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia