Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 AM

31 posts, read 55,692 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, me and my wife are planning on moving to northern virginia area in the next couple months. I have been living in fl for over 12 years and things have changed dramatically and just getting worse such as jobs. My wife is from northern virginia area and I love there area too and she wants me to move there obviously there will be more jobs there looking at 12% unemployment in FL and 6% over there and i am aware of expenses over there. It is more expensive than fl but here it's hard to find a job here and if you get it the pay will be somewhere from 30k to 40k. I am college graduate with over 5 years in retail sales experience. Any advise would be really appreciated and i am also planning on sending her there first since they got her people there and to get a job and then I'll move. I want to move there because I don't like it here and to make more money and get a better job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,289 times
What sort of advise? Housing cost, job, schools?

Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Sounds like a plan...did you have any specific questions? Or were you just looking to introduce yourself?

Old 03-05-2011, 09:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Does she already have a job offer here? If not, I would not come here without a job. It's ok if one of you has a job, but could be rougher than you think if both of you are looking. The hiring process here can sometimes take a very long time. Also, you will want to have at least one job first to decide where you want to live. Traffic here is bad, you'll want a commute that's as short as possible.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 AM

sorry for the confusion guys, but I wanted to know if moving to VA would a better idea expecting long term comparing to FL. Also if I would be able to get some kind of sales job for about 50k to 60k, even in like selling cars for example

Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
I would suggest going on a site like monster.com and finding jobs your qualifications match to get a ball park range of expected salary. There are too many variables to say what you could get paid.

Make sure to look at cost of living calculators too. You may make $10-20k more up here, but if COL is twice as expensive, it's really no different at the end of the day.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:22 AM

38 posts, read 89,412 times
I moved from FL to VA too. I lived in FL for 10 years but wanted to focus on my career. There were few IT jobs in FL. But like the other posters said, get a job before moving here. That's what I did. Looking back, I'm glad I left FL for VA. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I would suggest going on a site like monster.com and finding jobs your qualifications match to get a ball park range of expected salary. There are too many variables to say what you could get paid.

Make sure to look at cost of living calculators too. You may make $10-20k more up here, but if COL is twice as expensive, it's really no different at the end of the day.

Well see here you could be qualified for a job but then it's numerous people ahead of you so it's like less chances for few jobs that are available and it is not going to be too much money plus no job security and these are one of the reasons I am trying to get out. I am currenly working but tried soo many places to get out here but it's either way less money or couldn't get it. Thanks for the info though.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:11 AM

388 posts, read 790,998 times
Northern Virginia's slogan should be "We have jobs." I'm the exact opposite of you and want to move to FL. Where are you located? The cost of living here is outrageous. You might be able to find a job here in sales making 40k+ a year, but the same home in FL (in a good neighborhood) will cost you 3x's here.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
Northern Virginia's slogan should be "We have jobs." I'm the exact opposite of you and want to move to FL. Where are you located? The cost of living here is outrageous. You might be able to find a job here in sales making 40k+ a year, but the same home in FL (in a good neighborhood) will cost you 3x's here.
House prices is a fact that here it's real cheap 150k for a nice home, but that's when you have a stable job. I live in orlando but it's actually boring for me maybe living for too long. I know soo many college grads just working odd jobs or don't have a job. But I think northern va is way better in look and for fun stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia