Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 PM

15 posts, read 30,901 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We live in a Townhome and the house next door has been rented recently. The tenanted came to our house with a City Permit asking if they could build some sort of Fenced Extension to their basement and we declined and didn't sign the city permit.

Yesterday I went out to our deck and saw that they had done all sorts of drawings on the grass. Can any builders and contractors here please explain to me what these linings mean. I'm assuming they are trying to figure out property lines etc... There is Orange, Yellow, and Red lines. There are flashes directed toward my house etc...

I'm not sure if they had forged a fake signature and presented to the City or they had just decided to go with it without permission. Any help in this manner is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 02:40 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
This is just a guess--I could be way off--but my guess is those show where existing power/utility lines are located.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:44 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,328,531 times
Those lines are probably mostly lines that Miss Utility has put down to mark electric, gas, cable lines...

From my days on an HOA board, I don't think your neighbors need your permission, I believe they only need to make you aware of it. Was it an HOA document that you were asked to sign and they had the permit along with it? I'm not sure why, as a neighbor, you would have to sign the city permit. An HOA would probably have a form for neighbors to sign, but again, that is only to say that you are aware of the proposed changes, not approving of them.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:45 PM

Just had a friend send this over. This might be of help to anyone else looking for Uniform Construction Color Codings. Caladium, as you said it's It seems like they called the utility company to come and pray where underground lines are. Needed before you start digging. This is very unfortunate.

The first time we spoke with the Tenant, she said part of her agreement in renting the house was the extension to be added and the Land Lord had signed the paper asap allowing it. The house was on the market for a long time and I'm not surprised that the Land Lord bent for them so they could start renting. It's messed up that the Land Lord promised them permission without our consent, because it is effecting our house. He just wanted the house to bring in Revenue.

I called Cascades Home Owner's Association but it wen to Voice mail. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Those lines are probably mostly lines that Miss Utility has put down to mark electric, gas, cable lines...

From my days on an HOA board, I don't think your neighbors need your permission, I believe they only need to make you aware of it. Was it an HOA document that you were asked to sign and they had the permit along with it? I'm not sure why, as a neighbor, you would have to sign the city permit. An HOA would probably have a form for neighbors to sign, but again, that is only to say that you are aware of the proposed changes, not approving of them.
I didn't sign anything, she presented to me Verbally and as she was about to take it out of her purse, I declined. I already know the amount of depreciation this will bring to our home and didn't want any of it. She was very rude about it and said, there are many other neighbors who will be happy to sign it. I assume she went to the other neighbor and had him sign it. It's unfortunate because their homes won't be effected by this, but my house is attached to hers, so we will get it.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:53 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
You can always call the HOA first thing on Monday morning and file a complaint. I believe they take the phone off voice mail around 8:30 a.m. Look in your HOA rules, but if I recall it correctly Cascades is one HOA that does require the neighbor (and the association) to sign off on major exterior projects. So, you could probably stop this project. Be aware that doing could lead to very bad blood with your neighbor, however. Ask yourself if it's worth it.

Also, are you sure this is for the extension? Your neighbor might just be getting a FIOS line put in.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-Fanatic View Post
I didn't sign anything, she presented to me Verbally and as she was about to take it out of her purse, I declined. I already know the amount of depreciation this will bring to our home and didn't want any of it. She was very rude about it and said, there are many other neighbors who will be happy to sign it. I assume she went to the other neighbor and had him sign it. It's unfortunate because their homes won't be effected by this, but my house is attached to hers, so we will get it.
I understand you didn't sign it, but was "it" something from the city/county or your HOA? Do you know or did you not see it at all?

If it was an HOA form, I am guessing that it was one like we had where we used to live. The homeowner typically has to make the surrounding residents aware of the changes, but doesn't need your approval. The approval would come from the HOA. If they are already marking lines my guess is that the HOA review board has approved the change. How long ago did your neighbor approach you with the form?

Old 03-05-2011, 02:57 PM

Well it's a Win Win for the Land Lord. 1. He is getting an Extension to his house at an expense of the Renters. His house value will probably go up a little bit too. 2. He now has renters which he didn't have for the past 5-7 months the house was for rent.

We are the one who will suffer the consequence and our home deprecation as a result. I am about to re-finance my mortgage and with that comes appraisal, and that's the biggest thing I'm worried about. I know the tenants will leave their mark and probably leave in a year or so, but I have to worry about my Appraisal and long term effects on my property.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I understand you didn't sign it, but was "it" something from the city/county or your HOA? Do you know or did you not see it at all?

If it was an HOA form, I am guessing that it was one like we had where we used to live. The homeowner typically has to make the surrounding residents aware of the changes, but doesn't need your approval. The approval would come from the HOA. If they are already marking lines my guess is that the HOA review board has approved the change. How long ago did your neighbor approach you with the form?
I didn't see the form. I was notified two weeks ago with her at my door steps, the lines appeared I'd say yesterday or maybe the day before and I saw them today. I want them to stop, before they contract out a contractor and lose money. Two, I don't want them to build it just so they'd have to take it down. Also I can't go ask them for the Land Lord's phone number, I'm sure they won't give it to me. Also public data sites such as Zillow etc.. only give price sold, tax information, and no Information on the purchaser.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You can always call the HOA first thing on Monday morning and file a complaint. I believe they take the phone off voice mail around 8:30 a.m. Look in your HOA rules, but if I recall it correctly Cascades is one HOA that does require the neighbor (and the association) to sign off on major exterior projects. So, you could probably stop this project.
Not if the HOA has already signed off on it. If that is the case, then the time to complain or try to stop it was when it went through the committee that approves of the changes.
A neighbor's signature doesn't necessarily approve of the project, it only says that you made them aware of it. The homeowner doesn't need approval from the neighbors, only the county/city if there are permits involved and the HOA board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia