Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 AM

566 posts, read 2,986,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I wouldn't doubt that it's over 75,000 by now...
Good guess...this says that it was just over 73,000 as of last year so I bet you're pretty darn close to what it is today.

Ashburn, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,964,597 times
Default Real Estate Broker

Try the Countryside section of Sterling, close to excellent schools. Older, established area with mature trees, jogging paths. Shopping at Dulles Town Center rivals other area shopping and there are the Premium Outlets in Leesburg, only 10 miles away.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:00 PM

267 posts, read 1,675,266 times
Ashburn is great and does not have the gang problems that Sterling does. We have lived here for more than 12 years. I have two sons who went to public school here, one graduated from Stone Bridge HS and had no problems at all. He's 21 now. (The other graduated from Thomas Jefferson in Fairfax county-Science and Tech HS which is available to several counties in NOVA). The crime rate here is next to nothing and tends to be vandalism, thefts from vehicles, minor and rare. Sterling on the other hand has a higher crime rate and they are more major crimes. Just check the sheriff's report in the local papers here and you can see for yourself the kinds of things that are reported. I would not call this area "sterile" by any means. It's a great community and we've made some really good friends here. There is so much more here than when we first moved in '95. We really appreciate the safety and sense of community.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:47 PM

76 posts, read 345,673 times
When we talk about the Cascades area of Sterling, we are talking about Potomac Falls. There is as much gang activity in Potomac Falls (basically none) as there is in Ashburn. Sterling Park is about as far away from us in Potomac Falls as in is from Ashburn. It is smack in the middle. I wouldn't rule out the Potomac Falls area of Sterling due to crime. It is a very safe area that has the benefit of being closer to commuting routes than Ashburn.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:54 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,893,740 times
^
very true.

we almost bought in countryside...but beware alot of the houses are very poorly built.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:33 PM

76 posts, read 345,673 times
I think that might be true about Countryside, many of the homes were built in the 80s. I do not think the same thing can be said for cascades though. Our home was built in the mid 90s by Winchester, one of the better builders in the area, and we are very pleased with the quality. Really nice, solid, brick home. The neighborhoods in Cascades are pretty tight knit overall from what I see and hear. Lots of families, very friendly and safe. It is very easy to avoid crossing Rt 7 into Sterling. We have everything we need right in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia