Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 33,808 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am relocating to DC area from Oklahoma City. I have been to DC, but I do not know the area well. I have talked to many people who have overwhelmed me about how bad traffic is in the DC/VA/MD areas. I do not mind driving, but I keep hearing that it will take a hour to drive every where. I have a job offer in Falls Church, but I want to live in the DC metro area. Will I be driving for a hour? And also how long will it be if I take the metro? Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 06:25 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Well, it depends where you're looking to live within the DC metro area. Similarly, if looking to live in DC itself, it depends on where within the city you'll be living. As far being "too much" of a commute, that's subjective. Generally though, a DC to Falls Church commute isn't horrific by area standards. It's somewhat of a reverse commute and there's the option of taking public transit. In my opinion, in this area, if Metro is an actual viable option for someone, I'd recommend it. A trip from Metro Center (large transfer station in the heart of downtown DC) to Falls Church on Metro will take roughly 20 minutes.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:38 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,651 times
You should be fine because you'll be driving against traffic. Also, public transportation is available between D.C. and Falls Church. Taking the Metro (the transit system in this area) will save you some time also.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 33,808 times
Thank you both! Dull, I do not know exactly where I would live in DC because I am still looking. I want to live in the NE or NW sections of the city. I do not know if the location would make much of a difference. I am so happy to hear traffic would not be that bad. And that the metro is not bad either. My cousin just told me that he thinks it would be best for me live in Va. But he said I am not far from DC, he just thinks it would be confusing for someone new to the area to travel. I don't know, I am trying to weigh everything out. Again thank you!

Old 07-26-2007, 05:54 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaT View Post
Thank you both! Dull, I do not know exactly where I would live in DC because I am still looking. I want to live in the NE or NW sections of the city. I do not know if the location would make much of a difference. I am so happy to hear traffic would not be that bad. And that the metro is not bad either. My cousin just told me that he thinks it would be best for me live in Va. But he said I am not far from DC, he just thinks it would be confusing for someone new to the area to travel. I don't know, I am trying to weigh everything out. Again thank you!
My pleasure.

One thing to keep in mind though in regards to traffic is that it's relative. Those of us responding are locals who are accustomed to horrific traffic so our views may be a little skewed to someone coming from OKC who may find something "unbearable" that we consider "not too bad". As I said, if Metro is a viable option, I would definitely recommend it over driving.

As far as traveling in DC being confusing, well, the city of DC itself can give tourists and newcomers a bit of headache with it's traffic circles, detours and one-way streets, but you learn with time. Similarly, the Metro system is fairly easy to use. Many people have difficulty for whatever reason grasping the concept of the farecard system (you pay a sliding scale based on where you're going and if you're transferring, and the rates are posted in each station) and figuring out how the machines work, but it's something you'll get the hang of rather quickly.

There's advantages to living in DC and advantages to living in Virginia. DC is a major city with all the pluses and minuses that go with it. For someone coming from a less urban area, Virginia would be less overwhelming than DC. Settling in Virginia would give you a bit more breathing room, lower rents in most cases, and a shorter commute to Falls Church. By the same token however, you won't be in the middle of all of the action (which may be a plus or minus).

Old 07-26-2007, 08:53 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Keep in mind that there isn't a whole lot that would resemble a workplace in the actual vicinity of either the East or West Falls Church Metro stations. Could be that a decent bus ride will be involved as well if you Metro out from DC. If you were driving, tha major challenge would be to figure out a reasonably reliable way to get out of town. Once you reach the Old Dominion, the run to Falls Church against the traffic is an easy one...

Old 08-03-2007, 09:23 PM

71 posts, read 316,339 times
Falls Church/DC is a breeze on Metrorail.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:37 PM

77 posts, read 340,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memiller View Post
Falls Church/DC is a breeze on Metrorail.
Agreed! I would recommend the same to the person asking this question as long as their office were pretty easily accessible from the Metro stations.

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, a person on this commute route would be able to use I-66 if needed, and would be going in the opposite direction of most commuter traffic.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:35 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometricdisaster View Post
Agreed! I would recommend the same to the person asking this question as long as their office were pretty easily accessible from the Metro stations.

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, a person on this commute route would be able to use I-66 if needed, and would be going in the opposite direction of most commuter traffic.
On the other hand, I'd also warn the OP that there's really no such thing as a reverse commute in this area. Yes, the traffic is a little less insane if you drive away from D.C., but it's not a breeze. My wife used to commute from Fairfax to Chantilly -- supposedly a reverse commute -- and she was sitting in traffic every day, especially on her ride home.

Wherever you settle, try to situate yourself near the Orange Line on the Metro. That's the one that takes you to Falls Church. You want to use public transportation in this area whenever possible, trust me.

20-30 minutes on the Orange Line from D.C. sounds about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia